Pulled the trigger on Altec Model 19s. Shot self in foot?

God help me, I just bought another pair of huge horn speakers. I bought a pair of reasonably-decent condition Altec Model 19s for $1,500.00. Did I get ripped off? The only pair I have seen sold on e-Bay recently went for $1,300.00, were in better shape than "mine" but were only available in Texas--way too far to drive.

Aaargh..what have I done??

George Roland

God help me, I just bought another pair of huge horn speakers. I bought a pair of reasonably-decent condition Altec Model 19s for $1,500.00. Did I get ripped off? The only pair I have seen sold on e-Bay recently went for $1,300.00, were in better shape than "mine" but were only available in Texas--way too far to drive. Aaargh..what have I done?? George Roland

George,

My brother in law lives about 5 miles from me and owns Model 19s as well as K-Horns. Some detailed photos would help assess the price you paid. They should be pretty descent at that price.

Roger

George, I'd say that was a fine purchase--no foot bandaging required! Just the used drivers and crossovers would cost about $1200 on eBay, and this is an original set (not a bunch of cobbed-together parts from various sources) mounted in cabinets with grilles that look to be in excellent shape. Like with the Heritage Klipsch stuff, you really can't lose if you buy gear like this at a decent price. Listen to the 19's for a few months or years, and if they're not your cup of tea you can get all (or most) of your money back. There are not many hobbies where you can do that.

I just bought a pair of 19's from Audiogon a few weeks ago. I had to drive about 800 miles round trip and the condition is not as good as yours. I paid almost as much and mine will need more cosmetic work. Like you, I have watched for years and never had any luck finding a pair close to home.

I don't know if you have this problem with your woofers, but mine have a substantial pool of doping at the bottom of the surround. Has anyone got a trick to removing this or thinning it out? I know people rotate the woofers 180 degrees and wait for it to ooze back the other way over the years, but I think mine is too far along for that kind of correction. I'll post some photos--suggestions would be appreciated!

triceratops

Of all the Altec systems, the 19s have just about the best reputation . I think there are easy diy crossover upgrades discussed online. Many even try to build replicas of these speakers from scratch, I once pondered doing that project myself. Considering that $s are possibly an evaporating illusion, you did well to put the cash into something real.

my 2 cents.

c&s

George,

They look descent enough, and since you will be able to save on shipping by picking them up, that is a major plus. I would say they are slightly above average on what I've seen on ebay. 2 years ago, there was an absolutely mint set in Tenn. that brought like $1700, but then again, the way K-Horn prices have dropped, makes you wonder why the Altecs haven't seem to have been affected. Have you seen the foam sets that are molded to fit in the top section arround the hors??

Roger

God help me, I just bought another pair of huge horn speakers. I bought a pair of reasonably-decent condition Altec Model 19s for $1,500.00. Did I get ripped off? The only pair I have seen sold on e-Bay recently went for $1,300.00, were in better shape than "mine" but were only available in Texas--way too far to drive.
Aaargh..what have I done??

George Roland

You did OK as far as Price, but I don't like them near as much as Khorns.

And since you didn't care for your Klipschorns, I don't think you like these either.

The only problem with these Big Horn Speakers, is once you own them, selling them is a Pick Up only deal - Which makes them hard to move.

You should still have both feet. There are a few folks on here with Model 19s. I had a friend who had a pair, and they were a nice speaker. You might be able to splice in a piece of veneer on the top or do the whole top.

Kewl!

Thanks for the responses! I have rented an Enterprise cargo van and will be picking up the 19s Wednesday afternoon. Should have them home and hooked up for an initial audition Wednesday night.

I have just begun a bit of a woodworking hobby and thought repairing the broken veneer in the top of one cabinet might be a good project after I practice veneer repairs on some lesser pieces of furniture. Something else is broken on the pair--part of the grille frame I believe, that I should be able to fix readily.

I was interested in the foam surrounds that were mentioned. I am supposing these dry-rotted and crumbled off long ago? Is there a source for replacements and what do they cost?

Cheers,

George Roland

Thanks for the responses! I have rented an Enterprise cargo van and will be picking up the 19s Wednesday afternoon. Should have them home and hooked up for an initial audition Wednesday night. I have just begun a bit of a woodworking hobby and thought repairing the broken veneer in the top of one cabinet might be a good project after I practice veneer repairs on some lesser pieces of furniture. Something else is broken on the pair--part of the grille frame I believe, that I should be able to fix readily. I was interested in the foam surrounds that were mentioned. I am supposing these dry-rotted and crumbled off long ago? Is there a source for replacements and what do they cost? Cheers, George Roland

George,

The break on the grille frame is common on these as they are made of frickin particle board and swell and become very weak with age. As far as I know, the foam for the top section is an aftermarket only upgrade like going to Bob Crites for crossovers hear. I don't remember the site off hand but found it doing a search on the speakers when my brother in law was hot and heavy on his. The foams help reduce the ringing of the high frequency horns and can be seen in the Ebay auction that I have attached. I understand the foams can be bought at times on ebay, but can be had cheaper by emailing the people at the following address ddarstz@carolina.rr.com

Roger

Altec Model 19 (four great sounding two way monitors)

perfect for home theatre, great condition
Item number: 220381869568 rtCurve.gif
s.gif
s.gif
Seller of this item? Sign in for your status
Watch this item in My eBay
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
statusCheck_28x28.gif This item has been added to My eBay for Guests.
As a guest, you can:
bltGrey.gif Track up to 10 items on this computer in My eBay
bltGrey.gif Receive an email reminder for this item a few hours before it ends
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif s.gif s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
Altec Model 19 (four great sounding two way monitors)
s.gif
Previous Picture Stop Play Next Picture
1 of 8
iconOpenWindow_20x20.gif Supersize
s.gif
s.gif
Starting bid: US $2,900.00
s.gif
Your maximum bid:
US $
Place Bid >
(Enter US $2,900.00 or more)
s.gif
Buy It Now price: US $3,000.00 Buy It Now >

End time: Mar-26-09 07:23:19 PDT (2 days 2 hours)
Shipping:
Pickup only - see item description for details
Ships to: Will arrange for local pickup only (no shipping).
Item location: Encino, CA, United States
History: 0 bids
You can also:
Get SMS or IM alerts | Email to a friend
Listing and payment details: HideShow
Starting time: Mar-21-09 07:23:19 PDT
Duration: 5-day listing
Payment methods:
PayPal (preferred)
See details
s.gif
s.gif
Meet the seller
Seller:s.gif s.gifcdh61s.gif( 393Feedback score is 100 to 499) s.gif
Member: since Mar-28-00 in United States
bullet.gif See detailed feedback
bullet.gif Ask seller a question s.gif
bullet.gif Add to Favorite Sellers
bullet.gif View seller's other items

Contact the seller instantly
s.gif
s.gif
Buy safely
1. Check the seller's reputation
Score: 393 | 100% Positive
See detailed feedback
2. Check how you're protected
s.gif
Pay with logoPayPal_51x14.gif and your full purchase price is covered | See terms
s.gif
s.gif
Description
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
Item Specifics - Home Speakers
Type:

Multi-Speaker System

Wireless:

--

Brand:

Altec Lansing

Condition:

Used

Color:

Wood ( Dark )

s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif

For sale are four Altec model 19 two way speakers. I have used them in my home stereo system for the past few years and am selling due to a change in my system. Included for sale are four WALNUT model 19s in great cosmetic condition. Each individual loudspeaker cabinet has the grill covers and contains one altec 802 8g alnico driver (tangerine phase plug), one 811b sectoral horn, one foam 811 horn insert, one altec model 19 crossover, and one 416 8b alnico 16 inch woofer. I currently have these stacked on top of each other (two on the left side of the room and two on the right side of the room) and the sound is simply fantastic! If you are an altec enthusiast and are looking for the model 19 experience (and a vintage altec alnico system), this is your chance. ALL items are sold AS IS, but currently they all are working perfectly.

The only items in this auction are the 4 model 19s seen in the pictures. All other items in the pictures (rack, etc) are not included in this listing.

I WILL NOT PACK OR SHIP THESE, THEY ARE TOO LARGE!!!!!!!! Local pick up (91436) or delivery ($100) to Los Angeles area only.

I will inlude free delivery of all four model 19s within 50 miles of the 91436 zip code if the "buy it now" is used. Best of luck and thanks for looking.

s.gif s.gif s.gifSelect a picture
524f_12.JPG

s.gif
524f_0.JPG 3dc7_0.JPG
3e6a_0.JPG !BOeg+Jw!Wk~$(KGrHgoOKiYEjlLmfcsHBJu8y3o
!BOeg+u!B2k~$(KGrHgoOKj4EjlLm(n4WBJu8y6W 4050_0.JPG
411c_0.JPG 419b_0.JPG

s.gif
s.gif
Shipping and handling
Services available
Check item description and payment instructions or contact seller for details.
Local pick up
You can contact your seller to arrange to pay for and pick up your item.
Ships to
Will arrange for local pickup only (no shipping).
Return policy
The seller will not accept returns for this item.
Payment details
Payment method Preferred/Accepted Buyer protection on eBay
Seller Preferred
umbrella.gif
s.gif
Seller's payment instructions

NO SHIPPING, LOCAL PICK UP ONLY!!!!!
Take action on this item
Item title: Altec Model 19 (four great sounding two way monitors)
Place a bid
Your maximum bid:
US $
s.gif
(Enter US $2,900.00 or more)
Place Bid > You will confirm in the next step.
imgVIor.gif
Buy It Now
Buy It Now price: US $3,000.00
Buy It Now > You will confirm in the next step.

eBay automatically bids on your behalf up to your maximum bid.
Learn about bidding.
Purchase this item now without bidding.
Learn about Buy It Now.
Other options
s.gifGo backs.gifBack to list of items | Report this item | Printer Version | Sell one like this