Heresey Questions

dsndblm

Last month I bought a pair of Heresey's and think that I got a very good deal on them, $280.00. The guy I bought them from said that they were made in 1984 and he had recently installed Crites tweeters. When I brought them home and hooked them up I was impressed with the sound but they always have a mid range shrill (don't know the correct term) that wears out my ears after an hour or so. I have four tube amps that I run through the Heresey's. Fisher 400, Fisher X-101-B, home built SE 6B4 and home built EL34 P/P. The midrange is annoying using all 4 amps. Do I need to recap the speakers possibly? I'm open to any suggestions and appreciate any advice. I know very little about speakers, crossovers and Klipsch products. I'm sure that my Heresey's can sound better than they do now.

Regards

David

Welcome to the Forum!

The previous owner installed new tweeters; but did he replace the caps. One of the symptoms of bad caps in the later H-I's (with the K-53/701 mid horn) is that the caps on the E2 crossovers need to be replaced. Also make sure that the drivers are "in phase". An out of phase driver can produce the same "symptom". Phase? Open the back and make sure that the red/positive wires are correctly connected to the positive, "+", or "red" terminals. Worse case scenario? The diaphragms on the K-53's need replacing. Bob Crites has those as well and they are a "drop in".

Hope that helps.

David,

I'd suggest to check with Bob Crites on caps recs. You don't have to spend much to return the crossovers to factory spec. That should help immensely.

After a while, if the mids still sound too forward to you, there are some crossover changes you can easily do to pad down the mid a little.

• 2 months later...

I had posted a question on one of his threads a few weeks ago about some thing or other, but never got a reply. Shortly after, I saw that comment in his sig line, but it may have been there when I asked him my question. A shame to lose someone of his caliber. Hope all is ok.

Randy

Everytime I've talked to him, he's been covered up with work. Now the hurricane season is here and his load has increased. I tried calling hin a week or so ago and the phone just rang and rang. I never did get a hold of him. Hope all is well.