Plug/unplug during storm?? leave amplifiers on continuiously??

Should the power strip itself be unplugged during a heavy thunderstorm?? I have solid state power amps that I leave on all of the time. good idea or bad?

presently have a Monster 10 or 12 outlet surge protector- cost about 180.00. being replaced by APC unit now discussed on the garage.

I am geting to the point where I do not like monster products at all although I own many.

Opinions??

It's never a bad thing to unplug your electronics when lightning is in the area.

Surge suppresion is great if you're not at home when the storm hits, but unplugging the equipment from the outlet is always safer than leaving it pugged in to the best suppresor.

It may help. But don't forget there's many ways for a lightning strike to get into your system. Have a reciever with an outside antenna connected? Is TV/home theater sound connected to the system. Cable (like Comcast)? etc. Is the cable system coax or outside antenna grounded properly? Etc.

If you really want to provide the proper protection you'll need something more like an isolated and balanced regulated power supply on a separate circuit which also has its own properly isolated ground.

There are a few thoughts about leaving electronics on all the time....

Leaving
everything on keeps everything at a fairly constant temperature, so you
don't have to worry about any of the thermal stressing on components.
With modern designs, this really isn't a big concern.

Are there
any fans or other moving parts? Bearings and other moving parts will
wear out with more use. I've found that fans wear out far before the
thermal stressing matters.

Capacitors (especially electrolytics)
don't last as long when they're left charged at high voltages.
Cost-effective designs are also typically using the smallest caps they
can find, so your power supply caps are generally getting charged to
near full capacity. Basically, all your electrolytic caps are gonna
wear out faster if you leave everything charged up.

As far as
lightning protection - sure, surge suppressors are a good thing to
have, but nothing will beat having everything unplugged from the
wall...the only way your components could be damaged is if the
lightning hit them directly (but then I'd wager you probably have
larger concerns....like repairing the house). I personally unplug the
power strips whenever I leave my house for extended periods of time and
especially during crazy thunderstorms.

Anyways, thems just my two cents.

Lightning is looking for a ground. Your antenna or coax cable (cable TV/phone/computer) is a very good ground. I never have taken a hit, (except in the test lab) but if you do it's going to do a lot of damage. I think you have a better chance at winning the lotto so I don't think I would worry about it, unless your ham antenna is the tallest thing for a county mile! Then I'd worry A LOT !!!!!!!!!

Thanx, Russ

Over the years, I have lost a NAD receiver, a Apt Holman amplifier, a Nakamichi CD player, a Technics 1200 turntable, a Carver M400t amplifier, and a set of cheap speakers to various lightning strikes. This happened while stuff was turned on, turned off, surge protected and not.

I never have seen a strike knock out anything that has been totally unplugged. You can figure out what I recommend....

Capacitors (especially electrolytics) don't last as long when they're left charged at high voltages. Cost-effective designs are also typically using the smallest caps they can find, so your power supply caps are generally getting charged to near full capacity. Basically, all your electrolytic caps are gonna wear out faster if you leave everything charged up.

Are the capacitors fully charged whenever the unit is on, or only when it's operating at high power?

I turn my system on around mid-day and turn it off at bedtime, if I'll be around all day, but if I go out for a couple of hours, I lower the volume, but don't turn it off. I figure that turning it on only once a day will minimize stress from inrush/startup current. Everything's a compromise, but that seems the sensible way to run this system.