Garage System Speakers...

SilverSport

I need some help (what else is new...[;)])...I have a 2 channel system for the garage...just an Integrated Amp and Tuner...currently hooked up to a pair of KSB 1.1s...a little lean for me but better than the old clock radio I was using in the garage...I would like to get better sound and have a pair of RB-5s...I know this will exponentially improve sound but here is where I am requesting help...

I live in the Chicagoland area so we get all extremes of weather here...

My garage is not connected to the house and it gets quite warm in there over the Summer...cold in the Winter...

I am not so sure I want to expose the beautiful RB-5s to those extremes but for them to sit unused is also a sin so...what do you all think???

Use the RB-5s in the garage and temperatures be dam*ed???

Keep the KSB 1.1s as they seem to be more weather friendly???

Your thoughts and experiences would be greatly appreciated...thanks!

Bill

This is a hard one for me to answer as I am in So Cal and we don't get all that cold (28 is about it for us in the winter) but we do get a bit warm, around 110 in the summer. I am running a pair of H1s and a pair of JBL 4312s in the shop and there have not been any problems. I would think that more than the gradual change of temp due to the seasons, you would get more damage due to humidity with the swelling of the wood and MDF.

As for how things are for me in our temp range, I have had no problems for 2 years now that the speakers have been out there. I had some less expensive JBL bookshelfs in the garage for over 10 years with no issues so from where I sit, I would say, go ahead and use them. YMMV [;)]

Bill -

I'm in the Chicago area as well - but my garage is attached so it doesn't get as cold I imagine.

I've got a system out there, as well as TV, and a computer and haven't had any problems. I imagine if you're going to be spending anytime out there in extreme weather you'll be running a heater while they're in use anyway.

You could always email Klipsch and ask if there is a suggested operating temperature for your speakers, or speakers in general.

• Like 1

Why Me Loves Khorns...you have tosurvive the rain to appreciate the sun...you have to start somewhere (BOSE) to fully appreciate the Klipsch...I startedwith BOSE 301s in the late '70s...college kid with no money and the BOSE were better than anything Icould find in that pricerange...no ebay or craigslist back then...

Thanks for the insight...I could remove the speakers in the Winter...I think I'll give this a try...thanks people...appreciated!

Bill

OK, bound to catch some flack here.

But I have a pair of outdoor Bose speakers hooked up to older reciever out there.

Some of the first speakers I got, before I became, well, converted to the Klipsch side of audio.

Paul, you blasheme!

but it sounds ok, right?

As long as it reminds you of your conversion to Klipsch.... [;)]

I think the KSB 1.1s stay in the garage...heck I went many years listening to a monaural AM/AF clock radio out there...the switch to the KSB 1.1 and Yamaha sound is a HUGE step up...at least it's not BO$E...[:P]...thnaks so much everyone!

Bill

I'm from Kali-forn-ya also so I don't see really cold weather. My intuition says it's the big swing in temperatures, sun and moisture that does the most damage. I've had good loudspeakers in my garage for years and other than a little dust they look like new (after I wipe them off). I'd just keep them off the floor and clean the dust off twice a year (dust will hold moisture).

When my new Heresys are delivered my RF-25s are going out in the garage, I'm not worried about them and I'm really picky.

Thanx, Russ