300 B tubes

winchester21

I am running a pair of Tubemagic Canada monobloc 300Bs with a Peach 2 and a tube jolida CD- K horns. the amps are 20 WPC using 2- 300 b tubes per side. The tubes which came with the amp are marked- Angela 300 B - Made in China by valve art. The amps sound great but my expierence is limited and I love to change things around to see if I can get an improvement. i was looking at the Sophia electric as the reviews were great ad much less than Western Electric as i would need 4-$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Any feedback or suggestions are appreciated.

winchester21 Alot is going to depend on the design circut of your amps, if you want to try a mesh tube in your amps i suggest you try a pair of TJ's. They are the same tube as the Sophia and alot cheaper. I tried the WE 300B's and some others in my amp, but my amp is voiced for the mesh tube. The others sounded good, but just didn't have that magic that we are all looking for.

Jay

I'm starting an uncalled for rumor that all 300B's stink... you should try a nice solid state PA amp... Devil

Why would you do that??? Are you enveouis??? Are do you just not know any better???

Jay

Coytee wants to pick up some used 300B amps on the cheap. Can't blame him for trying.

Why would you do that??? Are you enveouis??? Are do you just not know any better???

Cause I'm sitting here with a 300B amp that Winchester might be interested in, so I saw a good opportunity to give him some grief [:D]

Note, I did start my comment off with "starting an uncalled for rumor", thereby trying to acknowledge upfront that it was an absurd comment [Y]

Wincheter 21,

I think Canyonman is right, different amps may yield different results in their tube selections, but here's what I've experienced. I have a set of Wright mono7's, the direct heated 300B offering from George (slightly different from his mono8- in what all ways I'm not entirely sure). I bought them barely used from a local fellow thru Agon. He sold them with a pair of Soveteks (which came stock) and Sophia "Princess" meshplates. I listened to them thru my Khorns and preferred the Sophias, better range without a lot of the crystalline character, but honestly I didn't give the Soveteks much of a chance.

A while later in the search for more bass output I bought a matched pair of the reissue WEs. I felt like they had a very easy, natural sound but maybe a little muddy, (maybe more bass?). Eventually I began to notice that some of the detail in some of my familar songs was missing. I switched back to the Sophias and sold the WEs to a friend of mine who has Exemplar horns driven by Wellbourne amps. He swears by the WEs and bought mine as his backup pair. To each his own!

I've also heard good things about the Sophia carbon plates (from Clipped and Shorn) but have no direct experience with them. Good luck!

Darrell