Did You Ever......

SWL

.......Make a change to your system that was such an improvement that you just couldn't get away from it?

.......and then about a week or two later, well....it just isn't that significant anymore and you're ready to make another change?

I've been through this so many times but this most recent improvement is the best my system has ever performed....[:#]

.......Make a change to your system that was such an improvement that you just couldn't get away from it?

.......and then about a week or two later, well....it just isn't that significant anymore and you're ready to make another change?

I've been through this so many times but this most recent improvement is the best my system has ever performed....Zip it!

What was the change?

I think my current systems configuration has kept me happier than just about anything I've tried in the past. I've got no real burning desire to change anything at this point but I'm sure it's temporary. Dean G is most likely going to heart from me in a couple months and then I'll be done for good[;)]

...then I'll be done for goodWink

Sure you will. I have made little changes that turned out to make big improvements. Still, like you, I am really happy with how my current system is sounding. Any more is just icing on the cake.

It's nice to turn on the system, put on some tunes and just get lost in the music.

Bruce

Preamp.

Wouldn't be a 3600 by any chance?

Still running a crown amp?

Bingo. [:D]

Crown on the lows, H/K 430 on the highs and Marantz model 3600 for a pre powering RF-7's. I had the 3600 in my bedroom system for a long time because of no remote. I figured out a way to use a remote for the 3600 in my main system and just fell in love with the 3600 all over again. An underrated (and rare) solid state preamp IMO.

It still amazes me how loud the 30 watt Harmon Kardon 430 will go on the H/F's and sound so good. Paired up with the Marantz preamp etc. it is a fantastic combination in my listening room.

Thats awesome. I'm a pretty big fan of the 3600 myself. I've paired mine with the matching amp from Marantz the 250M.

The vintage HK and Marantz sure are nice with Klipsch. I also like the Marantz paired with QSC. These pieces are so underrated IMHO.

I've paired mine with the matching amp from Marantz the 250M.

That's right, I remember from another post. Which QSC amp do you have? Does the 250M have more balls than the QSC?

QSC SRA 2422.

The 250M is a great vintage amp but its hard to beat the QSC.

I had Crown XLS and XTI series amps. While they both certainly brought the RF-7's to life.....I could never get the HF's to my liking. Now, the XTI's do a great job in the bass dept. and every time I see a 430 for $100.00 or less I snag it......Got three of them in the house now. [:o] I want to find some more 3600 preamps but that is easier said than done. I'm finding out that they are pretty rare and their owners are hanging on tight. I can hear why.

This is all for two-channel listening of course.

I have also read/heard very good things about the QSC amps. Very smooth on the highs are they? That's cool. [Y]

I have also read/heard very good things about the QSC amps. Very smooth on the highs are they? That's cool. Yes

I went from 4 of the XLS's to 4 of the PLX2's and there was a noticeable smoothing out of the top end. Both amps sounded good at lower volumes but the QSC's really shine when you let them open up. I would find myself turning the Crowns down slightly during "spirited" listening sessions as opposed to turning the QSC's up.