What is the K-402?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Make sure you get the beryllium diaphragms.

Here is a completed eBay auction I had bookmarked. Would these have the beryllium diaphragms or would that cost extra?

Kudret

It says beryllium in the picture of the literature in the auction, but that's no guarantee that the drivers don't pre-date that particular literature. I would think the boxes would have the "be" designation on them somewhere.

Greg

The caution is to be sure they have genuine TAD diaphragms.

The Radian replacement diaphragms are aluminum.

If you're willing to use an adaptor (like the TAD4002 does), you may also consider the JBL2435 Be driver. They may be had used for very reasonable money.

Posted Image

The caution is to be sure they have genuine TAD diaphragms.

The Radian replacement diaphragms are aluminum.

If you're willing to use an adaptor (like the TAD4002 does), you may also consider the JBL2435 Be driver. They may be had used for very reasonable money.

2435H_Page_2.gif

Is there a passive network for using either the JBL or TAD ? Can I use ROy's initial design or do I have to go active ?

Is there a passive network for using either the JBL or TAD ? Can I use ROy's initial design or do I have to go active ?

I'd have to rummage around for it, I'm sure someone else has it at fingertips...but... Roy has a schematic already out there for the TAD driver on the K402. You would have to reconfigure your passives (presuming you have original passive design for the K69...well, any design for the K69!)

Some love them & some hate them but this is certainly an example where the advantage of an active comes into play.... those with an active can simply adjust their settings and be done. I'm a fan of active so realize I'm speaking with predisposition. Heck, I've already got settings saved in my active for the stock Jubilees (K69), JubeScalas (since I also have LaScalas). I've yet to program in the TAD settings...but this will give me the ability to change on the fly.

If you got the JBL, I'd speculate that those paramaters are not known. Perhaps the JBL is close enough to the TAD where you could use the TAD design... if not and you wanted it 'accurate' then I'd suspect it would have to go through the chamber process like everything else. I don't know that for sure though.

Maron, would knowing the frequency paramaters for both drivers, be enough information for someone to figure out parts should go into a passive? I know that I for one, would have no clue but that sure isn't to say that DeanG or BobC or someone like that might not know.

??

I am using an ALK extreme slope passive on my avatar speakers with the TAD 4002 drivers. The design is posted on Al's website in the download section. There is also a passive for Jubs there. Al's networks easily accomodate the different impedance of the TAD by simply changing a swamping resistor. In my case I also ditched the autoformer and so I am running a very simple network.

There is a huge difference in the ALK networks from Roy's. Roy puts the horn EQ in the network., which increases the number of components and cost significantly. When he comes up with an EQ tweak (which he has a few times).......toss it all away and start again. The ALK networks have no EQ. They are simple. However, you must use an EQ unit of some sort in your system. I happen to use a DBX-1231 graphic EQ and tuned the whole setup with an RTA room measurement system. I have a CD player, a preamp, an EQ, and an amp. Very simple.

Even with an electronic crossover, I think my question still remains...

Let me put it into my perspective.... I now also use an electronic crossover. You said above "The frequency peramaters for the TAD and JBL drivers are on the Lansing Forum" which given its perspective and lack of qualifiers towards Mike (Whatevers) questions, to infer he could simply go to the Lansing forum, obtain the frequency paramaters and presumably know what design paramaters would be needed in a crossover, be it active or passive.

You didn't clearly state he could do that, I just think it could be inferred by your comment (or lack of clarifying comments). So, knowing what a dummy I myself am, I got to thinking... if I had a frequency curve in front of me, would that give me any clue as to how to program my active? (no)

That however, doesn't mean it might not tell someone else who has a lot more knowledge than I do which is why I asked you the question if that would be enough for him to figure out what parts are needed or, in the case of an active (as you have) if that would tell YOU what paramaters you needed to eq the system? So, would going to that site, obtaining those graphs, give YOU enough information to program anything accurate, into your active?

I'm beginning to think the answer is "no" and if that's true, makes me wonder what good having frequency response data in front of him might be other than to see a pretty picture or a list of numbers?

Oh God Coytee,,,, You can niggle a peramater to death,,,, I,m boarding a plane in a few min.. Dont have time to explane,,,But maybe some one on the Lansing site can help you.. See yah in a couple of weeks..

Guest David H

would knowing the frequency paramaters for both drivers, be enough information for someone to figure out parts should go into a passive? I know that I for one, would have no clue but that sure isn't to say that DeanG or BobC or someone like that might not know.

Yes, if you have the base driver info, a base crossover can be designed from that info. Checkout www.lalena.com choose 2 or 3 way crossover designer.

Then input the drivers impedence and desired crossover frequency. Next select desired crossover type, start with a 1st order. This will get you enough info to be dangerous.

Thank you Dave. Too bad Maron doesn't understand that not everyone in this neighborhood (speaking for myself) is as well versed as others. I had no idea you could essentially, get in the ballpark like that!

Maron, have a good trip!

That however, doesn't mean it might not tell someone else who has a lot more knowledge than I do which is why I asked you the question if that would be enough for him to figure out what parts are needed or, in the case of an active (as you have) if that would tell YOU what paramaters you needed to eq the system? So, would going to that site, obtaining those graphs, give YOU enough information to program anything accurate, into your active?

I'm beginning to think the answer is "no" and if that's true, makes me wonder what good having frequency response data in front of him might be other than to see a pretty picture or a list of numbers?

Compression drivers will exhibit a different response depending on what horn they are mounted to. The best way is to mount a driver to the horn in question and run anechoic or TDS tests to see what you have to do to EQ the combination. I think that is what Roy has done in the case of the K-402.

Marketing department data on a driver is not usually sufficient to determine EQ for a specific horn-driver combo. Some form of empirical testing is required.

What do you use for a RTA ? with what mic ?

I am using an ALK extreme slope passive on my avatar speakers with the TAD 4002 drivers. The design is posted on Al's website in the download section. There is also a passive for Jubs there. Al's networks easily accomodate the different impedance of the TAD by simply changing a swamping resistor. In my case I also ditched the autoformer and so I am running a very simple network.

There is a huge difference in the ALK networks from Roy's. Roy puts the horn EQ in the network., which increases the number of components and cost significantly. When he comes up with an EQ tweak (which he has a few times).......toss it all away and start again. The ALK networks have no EQ. They are simple. However, you must use an EQ unit of some sort in your system. I happen to use a DBX-1231 graphic EQ and tuned the whole setup with an RTA room measurement system. I have a CD player, a preamp, an EQ, and an amp. Very simple.