Finally, my HT setup and pictures!

smcilwaine287

well I just got the center 2 days ago. I've only watched 2 movies so far but from what I can tell it is a very nice step up from the VC-25 (best buy exclusive) that it replaced. The rears are decent. Actually, they are nice rears, but the person what had the house before me prewired the rears way to high so it isn't as good as it could be. The 62's are good for some types of music. I like the way they sound for pretty much all types of music, except rock (which just happens to be my favorite) The problem is, any time a band uses power chords it sounds very distorted and I'd rather listen on my laptop. the sub is also very nice.

well I could have gotten those for a great deal, but I chose not too because they're HUGE. My wife is pretty good, but even I think those are a bit too big for a living room area. Thanks tho. I know it's hard to ask for better and similar size, but I think my problem is that those type of speakers are just shooting right over my head. My problem is not really the SQ of the speakers alone, it is more so the placement. I was thinking if I got 2 xl-12's I could aim them down at me. I'm not sure which would be best.

well I could have gotten those for a great deal, but I chose not too because they're HUGE. My wife is pretty good, but even I think those are a bit too big for a living room area. Thanks tho. I know it's hard to ask for better and similar size, but I think my problem is that those type of speakers are just shooting right over my head. My problem is not really the SQ of the speakers alone, it is more so the placement. I was thinking if I got 2 xl-12's I could aim them down at me. I'm not sure which would be best.

Since we're on the subject of their placement, the person who installed them must not have known that in a 5.1 setup your surround speakers are supposed to be mounted on the side walls and not behind you. If you are inclined to make any changes to your setup I'd recommend re-locating your speakers to the side walls and then you would be able to place them at the proper height also.

well unfortunately you're right. I can't move the speakers because the wife doesn't see the benefit. And doesn't want to have to fix, and put new holes in the wall. We have a lot more priorities right now... :-(

rears don't really bother me as much as the SQ of the 62's. Ugh, they're so good for lots of things too. Can someone please do me a favor and listen to something like.... Blink 182 or Green Day, at a loud volume (where you can feel it) and let me know if you think it sounds good.

maybe someone can help me w/ adjustments on my yamaha receiver?

ok, so lets take a song like.... I don't know what you like.

Smells like team spirit? or any modern alternative/pop rock song, w/ lots of powerchords. I listen to it, and I don't enjoy it. It doesn't sound very clean to me. I listen in my car, or on my computer, and I don't complain. So adjustments that will help that cause.

First of all Yamaha 663 looks to me to be a great amp and I know a lot of members here use it either as a AVR or as a pre amp. Have you ran the YPAO auto config set up, this should solve any of the distortion issues you can also go into manual settings on the yammy afterwards and do some adjustments, also I totally understand your situation with the rears.. though if you run a length of speaker wire to a side position and make a makeshift stand, just for a test, you can test what the surrounds sound like on a side position without making any changes to the walls or internal cable, this will at least give you an insight to what wuzzer is getting at, you might see a night and day difference is sound. Just a suggestion that’s all. Either way great looking system..

That's a good idea I may have to do that. Well there are 3 different presets you have to choose from before even running YPAO, one is "flat", one is "natural", the other is "front". I can't figure which one sounds the best. And everytime I run this my center speaker is a little too quiet. Does anyone have an idea of which of these would be best for what I'm looking for, and the type of music I like.

Very frustrating, thanks for the help guys

That could be your problem, normally when listening to music you would listen in 2 channel re press stereo on remote until you get 2 channel, you would then listen to the front 2 main speakers and sub only. Try this and report back.

• Moderators

Nice looking setup.

Thanks! yea, they were cut off... weird I'm not sure why.

The pictures are cropped because they are too large to fit within the forum. If you insert photos into your post, they need to be around 700 pixels wide or less to fit within the forum. If you want to use larger photos, you can click the Options tab, and attach a photo and the forum will resize the image and allow the user to be able to click on the image to see the full resolution. Only downfall to this method is you can only attach one photo per post.

ypao is very frustrating and not very precise, I have a similar setup and always I was with flat mode because my speakers are similar in your case I suggest "from mode" because your rear speakers are different from your setup, if you want a better sound in rock music maybe you could set up you from speakers in bi-amp mode, I just did that and the sound is awesome. I’m sorry if my written is not clear, I try to learning the English language as fast like I can.

I have the Yamaha 663 and I found Flat to be my choice. Although, there really wasnt a big difference between the different settings. I think that option is more for maybe underpowered, or speakers not matched. I could be mistaken on this I dunno.

The Yamaha 663 has some respectable power. It can crank pretty high. I decided to run a Crown XLS 602 pro amp just to make sure I have plenty of headroom. My RF 5's sound pretty dang mean with that Crown.

I run my YPAO first, to set the EQ, but YPAO always sets my speakers where I dont want them. (Front as large, I set them on small and let the Sub handle the LF). Then I run the RS SPL meter and adjust the speaker levels with it.

Have you listened to music in Direct Mode? I dont care for it although it is suppossed to send the signal untouched, with no codescs whatsoever. I find 7 channel music to be better for my ears.