needle drop - best software?

jazzbeq

Good Evening,

I am kindly requesting your help, i love my tt and my lp's. I had lately experienced music server and discover that it is possible to transfer lp's to hard drive.

So i would like to enjoy my lp's in my car or my ipod and since i am a beginner with software, here is my question?

Using a windows platform vista, what is the best software to perform a very good needle drop recording?

if some software are better with mcintosh, please specify the platform with your recommandation, thanks

Regards, JzbQ

If you don't mind spending a few hundred bucks, I highly recommend the Korg MR-1. I've done A/B's with excellent ears between LP and recordings made on it with no one able to tell the difference. It records DSF (as well as PCM) at 1 bit, 2.8mhz which is SACD quality. However, the most important thing is that you can transcode using the included AudioGate software to any PCM format and it's quite transparent.

Besides that, it's just like an old cassette deck. You just punch "record" and that's it.

Marvelous machine that every audiophile should own.

Actually, the little tiny stereo mic that comes with it does a pretty decent job and is a hoot to take to clubs or concerts. Just pin the mic on your shirt or tie and keep the Korg in your pocket.

Dave

I have used audacity software (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/) which is free. I loaded it on an apple mac mini and connect via an m-audio stereophile. The m-audio connects to the computer via usb. The rca from my phono stage outputs to the m-audio. The dac in the m-audio is ok but I think that significant improvement would be possible with a better dac. I have done a few records but it is time consuming to record both sides of an album, run declick on the file, then break out and label the tracks. I believe there is software that can do it all in one process and load the track info but you must pay the man.

• 7 months later...

My wife got me an ION Profile Pro for Christmas. I am using Audacity 1.3.10 Beta.

Not an audiophile piece. A chance to get my feet wet in an endeavor I have put off due to being too audio obsessive compulsive.

I am converting to highest rate .mp3.

Objective tis to give the over 70 year old family and friends a library of their favorites from the best LPs they have given me.

Benny Goodman, Glenn Miller, Johnny Cash, Streisand, Sinatra and a multitude of clasical of course.

This way I can give them an audio quality that although inferior is fine for elderly ears at low SPL. Play it on their computer speakers or in the car.

A Christian service project.

Next stop is to output the CJ pre amp into a ASUS Xonar card! Maybe later this year...

Objective tis to give the over 70 year old family and friends a library of their favorites from the best LPs they have given me.

Benny Goodman, Glenn Miller, Johnny Cash, Streisand, Sinatra and a multitude of clasical of course.

This way I can give them an audio quality that although inferior is fine for elderly ears at low SPL. Play it on their computer speakers or in the car.

Next stop is to output the CJ pre amp into a ASUS Xonar card! Maybe later this year...

That is a very cool project, Audio Flynn! [A]

I did something similar, but easier. I bought a portable (all in one) record player for a 90 year old client of mine for Christmas. A while back she shared the fact that she would love to be able to listen to her record collection (about 70 albums) again, but knew that wouldn't be possible.

She is listening to records daily now and even got a few new ones for Christmas! It is a great thing to bring music to someones life. She was in tear's when she opened her gift, as was I.

Thanks for sharing that,

Dennie

That is a very cool project, Audio Flynn! Angel

I did something similar, but easier. I bought a portable (all in one) record player for a 90 year old client of mine for Christmas. A while back she shared the fact that she would love to be able to listen to her record collection (about 70 albums) again, but knew that wouldn't be possible.

She is listening to records daily now and even got a few new ones for Christmas! It is a great thing to bring music to someones life. She was in tear's when she opened her gift, as was I.

Thanks for sharing that,

Dennie

Music is the gift...[Y]