TV Repair Stromberg Carlson ? ?

seti

I can remember TV repair shops but haven't seen on in 15 years. Do they exist? Is it possible to get an antique TV to work? My girlfriend said this TV followed her home on Sunday. The picture tube is in one piece. The field coil speaker is in bad shape. I do see other tubes and can't help but wonder if any are good. With the switch to hd will it be possible that this tv will ever show The Three Stooges Again? Any info or advice much appreciated.

IMG_1459.jpg

IMG_1460.jpg

IMG_1457.jpg

IMG_1458.jpg

Do the obvious stuff first. Clean it. Check all the tubes and replace as necessary. Pull the chassis and eyeball all the caps and replace as necessary. Then try the smoke test. You can get schematics and alignment procedures for that exact model. You might have to squirt some juice into the volume and other controls. If it doesn't work and you don't have a plethora of test equipment, well?

JJK

Ok, gotta say - that is cool! Some day my wife is going to find me slumped over some ancient piece of tech like that, after having fried myself trying to get that old critter to work...I would love to see that thing turn on and glow - It would be apart and all over my garage in about ten minutes. Nice project from the abyss...

B

Yeah. I am not willing to dig in and do the work or nuke myself. There are a couple scorch marks on the back. It could be a bad sign. I'd like to find someone local but TV repair shops are rare. I imagine all the caps need replacing. None of the tubes are scorched.

http://www.myvintagetv.com/

http://antiqueradio.org/welcome.htm

both of these guys are experts and can advise you. There is a large retro TV community out there.

http://www.earlytelevision.org/

If I restored this set, I'd hook it to a DVD player for showing vintage B&W shows. Using as an off-air receiver will soon not be an option.

The cabinet is called Chinese Chippendale. From what I can tell, if the cabinet is good shape, it is worth more than the electronics. I'm not an advocate for parting out, but there are collectors who drool over this style.

Thanks for the advice guys. I could make that my Betty Page TV [:D] I've seen the darker cabinets but not blonde. The cabinet is in fair shape. I don't think I could part it out but I could steal tubes for audio if they are any good for this purpose after being used for TV.