Center Channel Options for Klipsch ForteII

jmelki

I have had my Forte's in storage for over three years, and just recently purchased a home and finally have room to set these up. My goal is to use them as part of a 5.1 system for a home theater system to watch movies. Here is what I have so far: a Pioneer 1014TX receiver, a pair of Klipsch ForteII speakers, and a pair of book shelf JBL speakers for the surround.

I know this have been asked several times before, and from reading on the forum it appears as the Academy is the obvious solution for a center.

The only problem is I can't find a used Academy. I really like the way the Forte's sound, but was not sure if they would sound right with a reference series speaker like the RC-62. Anybody have any experience with this?

Thanks in advance

The current Reference series is not going to be a good match to Forte IIs. Another Forte II would be the best option (find a pair, sell the other one). A single Quartet would work very well and is what I used for a while as a center speaker. Then the Academy would be a good choice.

I personally would recommend not using a center speaker rather than one that doesn't match your front speakers. Academies do show up pretty frequently for sale. You can always post a WTB (Wanted To Buy) in the Garage Sale of the forums to let people know you're looking for one.

That Is a good idea. I may try that. I know the Forte's sound good, but in your opinion do you think they sound better than the new reference series floor standing speakers? I am really a speaker novice, so not really sure what league the Forte's are in. I just now they sound really good.

In other words would it be better to stick with my Forte's and build around them, or sell them and go for a newer klipsch reference series.

My main goal again is to have a good system for home theater, mainly for watching movies; and to try to limit the money I will have to pay to get there.

Thanks in advance

My HT is Khorns, but my living room is Forte II's with a Heresy center. Not a perfect match but not bad. moving to reference series is a tough call and mostly personal preference, you would need to look at the RF-82 to compare, anything smaller I would see as a loss. If money is an issue at all find a center and a pair of KSP-S6.

What do you run for a sub?

I am just putting this system together, so I do not have a sub yet. I had these Forte's back in college mainly to listen to music (stereo), and they have been in storage since. I recently purchased a new home and now that I have the space, I am trying to put together a little theater room in my basement. Basically all I have now is a Pioneer 1014TX amp, the Forte's and a pair of bookshelf JBLs that I use for the rears.

I am open to suggestions for a center and sub, and probably need to replace the surround sound speakers down the road.

Also, can someone tell me how the Forte's compare with the new Klipsch reference line. Are they a good choice for a home theater system, or should I sell them, and go with something more modern. I know the Forte's sound really good, but I haven't had a chance to listen to anything from Klipsch's new line of products.

Of course, budget is a concern, but at the same time, I do want to make sure I put together a quality system.

Thanks

• 1 year later...

Speaking from personal experience, I would really recommend finding an Academy. I've also had a pair of Fortes (originals not II's) since the 90's and as the home theater concept kept evolving until the center channel became a necessity, I experimented with a JBL, then another smaller Klipsch, but nothing sounded right until I got the Academy. It matches quite well tonally with the Fortes, at least to my old ears.

They're getting a bit harder to find now days as they were only made for three years, but if you put in a search on eBay, you should be able to pick one up for ~$400 or less. You won't be disappointed. One bit of warning, it is quite a bit wider than many center channels at 23", so you may need to make your own stand, but IMHO it's worth it.

Happy hunting!

As mentined; an Academy is probably the best match you will find; short of a 3rd Forte.

Also, a KV-4 would probably work pretty well. I have had excellent results with mine paired with my beloved Heresies.

Keep an eye in the "Garage Sale" section as both models pop up on occasion......

Good Luck!

Speaking from personal experience, I would really recommend finding an Academy. I've also had a pair of Fortes (originals not II's) since the 90's and as the home theater concept kept evolving until the center channel became a necessity, I experimented with a JBL, then another smaller Klipsch, but nothing sounded right until I got the Academy. It matches quite well tonally with the Fortes, at least to my old ears. They're getting a bit harder to find now days as they were only made for three years, but if you put in a search on eBay, you should be able to pick one up for ~$400 or less. You won't be disappointed. One bit of warning, it is quite a bit wider than many center channels at 23", so you may need to make your own stand, but IMHO it's worth it. Happy hunting!

Wuzzer... Wipster replied to this 2 days ago.

I read through the thread, but did not see how old it was..... [:S]

[:D]

Wuzzer... Wipster replied to this 2 days ago.

I read through the thread, but did not see how old it was..... Tongue Tied

Big Smile

I live in the past anyway... but I love to take any opportunity to brag about my Academy... BTW, there is a nice one on eBay right now.

It's all good!

Maybe 1 month or 2.... someone may see this thread (because they were searching) and find what they needed.

Glad you love the Academy as much as I do the KV-4!!!!

[H]

• 1 month later...

No. It'll keep up with your 7s as far as volume-wise but you'll definitely want a better matching speaker for your center.

This would be my bench racing recommendation as far as best matches:

1) RC-64 II

2) RC-64

3) RC-7

The reason I put the original RC-64 in 2nd place over an RC-7 is that I would imagine that the RC-64 II and the RC-64 are voiced closer to each other than the RC-64 II and RC-64 are.

You could buy the Forte IIs for 2 channel musical bilss..... Big Smile

(You may be quite surprised).....

I thought about but they sold for over 700 and thought that was high and another pair I found sold for almost 600 and they weren't as nice so I decided to concentrate on a center to go with my 7 II's

If I had RF7 IIs.... I would be concentrating on a center for them as well. Big Smile

(Me envious)..... Yes

I think $600-$700 is definitely kinda high for Fortes. But..... They are a kick arse speaker.

Thanks [:)] as most of you know I love my 7's but yes I've read a lot of good things about the Fortes also and the more I looked at them the looks even starting growing on me but I think I'll let it go for now and again concentrate on my main HT and maybe down the road work on a separate 2 channel setup with Fortes just for fun . I think im falling in love With Klipsch and after getting my 7's realising what i've been missing all these years ! BTW Great choice in gear you have there !!!!!!!!

Fortes are great speakers, I had a pair of original Fortes for over 20 years and never got tired of them (sold them to help buy the La Scalas). Before I chucked the idea of home theater (couldn't afford to do it with all tubes) I used an RC-7 with the Fortes and thought they matched up pretty well, but maybe I am not as picky about movies as music.