Dual Academy question

roddey

I have read that a person is not sopposed to have 2 center channel side by side because it can create a distortion. But what about 2 academy's stacked? Will that work OK? Has anyone tried it? Or would 1 Academy be plenty? Thanks, Rod

(I have 2 La Scala modified with altec 511b horns as LR mains, Heresy as side LR, Infinity Cresendo 3009 as surround back LR,Seaton Submersive 1000 watt dual 15 inch Subwoofer(should be shipped any day now). The gear is a Denon 3808ci for HT amp, Bob Latino 60 watt per channel Tube Dynaco clone, YS-Audio Tube Pre-amp. Valodyne SMS-1 Subwoofer controller, Panasonic BD-80 Blue Ray with a Pioneer Pro-FPJ1 Elite HDTV Projector and a Carada 126 inch screen)

I have 2 La Scala modified with altec 511b horns as LR mains

Having had an Academy for a center (as well as 2 more for surrounds) I'd say look into another LaScala for your center IF indeed, you have the space. My experience with an Academy flanked by LaScalas was one of the Academy being essentially, drown out.

Is it better than nothing? Perhaps.

Is it really the best answer for you? Not if you have the space for a third LaScala.

Just my .02 [:D]

Yes a La Scala bass bin on it's side with a 511B horn would work much better than a pair of Academy's. A pro La Scala (two-piece) would also work since the top section can be located anywhere you desire. I cannot understand why a Heresy sounded bad since it would be a much better timbre match to the La Scala's than an Academy would.

A vertical Cornwall would also work well and have bass!

The heresy did not sound bad as a center, it did not sound right on its side to me. Upright it worked but I wanted to use them on the side wall in a 7.1 confoguration. I got a Academy to use as a center to replace them. There is another Academy for sale so that was why I wanted to know about 2 of them. From the reviews of the Academy here and elsewhere I thought it was the cream la cream of centers to go along with the heritage line. A Cornwall would be great but I onlu have about 21 inches under the screen to work with. The La Scala on its side would work, but it only leaves me about 3 inches of room left on the top for clearance. I have 8 foot walls with a 126 inch screen on it.

OK thanks guys. I just contacted the seller and offered them some money for there time and not ship it. If they wont accept my offer(ebay)I will put the Academy up for sale and try to find an industriial La Scala or Cornwall. The Cornwall sounds great because of the bass extension for sure. But that sub is sopossed to have a lot of output so I think either solution would work. Thanks everyone. I retired recently and have taken aout the last 4-5 months putting this together. I could of had a Harley though [8o|]

I could of had a Harley though Super Angry

Well....if you want to be a sissy about it, you can still buy your Harley helmet and wear it while you are listening to your speakers... [6]

Just kidding on calling you a sissy... I should have said wuss... [:o] [;)] [:D]

Here's a thought, I've been looking for a bargain Chorus to play with. I want to make a new motorboard, wherein the horns are rotated 90 degrees, and the woofer would have to be lowered in the cabinet and the ports would have to be re located above the woofer to accomplish this. Then lay the chorus on it's side and use it as a center. I have a large Sony XBR TV, and I'd place it under the tv as a stand, you could lay it on it's side in front of your screen and I'll bet it'll keep up with the LaScalla's.

My main room rig has 2 KHs with an Academy centre. I bought a 2nd Acad this past summer-with the 1 acad below the 60" rr proj tv, the sound source seemed too low, but never put the 2nd one above the tv. However, you can test this approach even by using 2 small computer speakers, either near each other or (as in my case) maybe above and below the tv (which, since I literally just thought of this, haven't done yet). (Haven't really used it much, due to construction here). Many warned me not to do this because of ?different height related wave form timings. If this was true, perhaps a Behringer 110 shark or ?deq 2496could be used for time delay corrections. At this point, I am thinking of putting a LS in the centre, either on its side (maybe pulling the horns out and moving them on top of the tv) or regular vertical.

Pure conjecture: I believe the "sound" ?"timbre" of the LS (or even Heresy) cabinet is in part due to the way the cab vibrates as sound waves are hitting it from the components. In these, the base is a bit fixed, while the sides and top can ususally move freely. If you put a brace across the LS, based on what other have posted, that will change the sound, although perhaps, without apparent "degredation". If move any of these onto their sides, you are placing the spkr in positions not ?fully tested? by PWK. My guess is that putting the entire side in solid contact with the floor will alter the sound the greatest. Therefore, if I put my LS on its side for centre ch use, I plan to raise it off the floor with maybe 4, 4" cubed size wooden blocks, 1 at each corner and perhaps put some rolled up towels between the spkrs and the blocks to cut down on floor-spkr vibrations effecting the cabinet. That way, most of the length and width of the LS is free to "vibrate" at will.

Also remember, that a H or a LS on its side will have the horns pointing quite low, perhaps too low unless tilted up or requiring you to move them out of the cab. Likely an accoustical problem with the H, but not with my version of the 70s LS as the woofer cab is its own box (although the wood enclosure does include the horns area). I thought about pulling the horns out of my LS and placing them on top of the TV and trying to keep the spkr driver to my ear distance the same for all 3 drivers.

Just my 2 cents

I too have heard that you should not have two center channels. But I run two LaScala's for my center channel and have not run into any issues with the setup. So I'd say if you already have the second Academy give it a try and see what it sounds like.