TWIN SUB 12'S

bailz

guys,

just wondering about how to connect twin subs, i have 7.1 90wx7 denon avr789 same as US 1908avr i think, anyway i got a large room i am just using the sub pre out for the 12 i have at the moment what do i have to do to connect another one, I want more rumble[:P]!!!

Harman white paper on subs:

http://www.harman.com/about_harman/technology_leadership.aspx

Two subs better than one

“Intuition tells us that putting a large number of subwoofers at

different locations in a room is likely to excite room modes in

a more “balanced” manner, as compared to a single

subwoofer.”

http://www.harman.com/wp/pdf/multsubs.pdf

“Configurations 6

and 10-12 show the best results. Subwoofers at each wall

midpoint (#11) shows the lowest Std, Max-Min and Max-

Ave. Subwoofers in all four corners (#10) is almost as good

and shows a strong low frequency support. “

(The best position for four subs is mid point on the four walls or in the corners. Away from the side walls, but spaced equidistant on the front and backs walls is also good.)

Conclusions

“For practical number of subwoofers,there appears to be no obviouscorrelation. There is certainly nojustification for using more than four. Four subwoofers are enough to getthe best results of any configurationtried. Two subwoofers is very nearlyas good and has very good lowfrequency support as well. One subwoofer at each wall midpoint is the best in terms ofStd, Max-ave and Max-min but does not support lowfrequencies particularly well. Two subwoofers, at opposingwall midpoints, performs very nearly as well as four at themidpoints and gives a much better LF factor. Onesubwoofer in each corner also has good low frequencysupport, but does not perform quite as well as onesubwoofer at each wall midpoint, in terms of Std, Max-aveand Max-min. If cost and aesthetics are considered,subwoofers at 2 wall midpoints is preferred.

• 2 weeks later...

and....

in order to get additional 6 dB of output you have to keep doubling surface area (with double the power assuming the subs are the same model)

1 sub + 1 sub = 6 dB "up"

(this is the most economical bang for the buck improvement.)

2 subs + 2 subs = 6 dB "up"

4 subs + 4 subs = 6 dB "up"

This was the premise of the ProMedia SWS concept, which not everyone understood.

Ultimately, the simple benefit of going from one sub to two is a large advantage gained...

"Doesn't everybody have 16 subs??!!"

;-P

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...