Free used walnut edgebanding for repairs

I've got some walnut oiled edgebanding that came off the Khorns I'm restoring right now. Instead of throwing it out, I'm offering it to you industrious types who want to try and replace small pieces of missing edgebanding on your walnut oiled Klipsch speakers.

It takes a little skil to cut pieces in and to match the pieces up, but if you're careful, you can do a pretty decent job of it.

I know how hard it is to match the color of aged walnut. New walnut doesn't match up at all, and staining to match is almost impossible. I tried doing this a few years ago on a restoration. Those Khorns were in pretty good shape except for the edgebanding, which had missing pieces all over the place. I thought I could replace the edgebanding, but I just couldn't find or make anything that looked even close, so I gave up and just completely veneered both speakers!

If you're missing a lot of edgebanding, I don't think I can help you. But if you're missing a couple of little pieces here and there, this might be just the ticket.

No cost, just send me an email with your mailing address and how many pieces and the length of each piece that you think you need. I'll send more than you ask for just in case. I don't have any pieces longer than six or eight inches.

Greg

post-11090-13819475109208_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

I just thought I would mention if anyone needs large amounts of edge banding cheap I use these people last time I ordered. Shipped as promised, no hidden charges and good quality.

I got the Red Oak 13/16 wide, iron on glue backed in a 250' roll for $ 27.00, much cheaper than I could find locally, I could only get 25' rolls around here.

http://www.homecraftveneer.com/oscommerce2/catalog/index.php?cPath=25_27

• 2 weeks later...

Greg,

If the edgebanding is still available, I could use 3 pieces approximately 6 Inches in length. I have a set of oiled walnut Belles that need a little touch up.

Thank you,

Larry

Larry Redelfs
6730 N Langley Avenue
Clovis, California 93619

Greg,

If the edgebanding is still available, I could use 3 pieces approximately 6 Inches in length. I have a set of oiled walnut Belles that need a little touch up.

Thank you,

Larry

Larry Redelfs
6730 N Langley Avenue
Clovis, California 93619

I'll send some tomorrow. I've still got a lot of it.

Greg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Greg, got the strips a week or so ago. Now debating on how to proceed. My Khorns have little chips off the edge banding, I suppose that picking a spot to make a nice clean cut and then searching for a similar grain pattern in the scraps with which to make a patch is the way to go?

M

Thanks Greg, got the strips a week or so ago. Now debating on how to proceed. My Khorns have little chips off the edge banding, I suppose that picking a spot to make a nice clean cut and then searching for a similar grain pattern in the scraps with which to make a patch is the way to go?

M

It's something you have to work with piece by piece. It's probably better to randomly cut the piece along grain lines rather than straight line cuts across the grain. I've done some before with irregular shaped pieces and it comes out looking pretty good. It is difficult to cut the new pieces to fit in to the irregular shapes, but just take your time and use a sharp knife and a piece of sandpaper and you can "work it in".

Greg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...