"Fellowship of the Ring" too aggressive sounding?

Kain

Is Fellowship of the Ring (can't remember the sound on the other two movies as I don't own them) mixed really hot or does just have very aggressive sound? Every time a troll or some other creature makes a growling sound, it sounds very harsh. Same when the black horse riders squeal, it sounds ear-piercing. Also the dialogue is sometimes also very aggressive and in-your-face with a lot of emphasis on the "s." This is one of the few movies that really makes me want to turn down the volume. Note, some movies sound very smooth at high volumes on my home theater but this one is certainly not one of them.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is it how they wanted it to sound?

FOTR is one of the best mixed soundtracks ever released. It won some Oscars for sound mixing, if I recall. I was extremely impressed with the clearly identifiable "layers" of sound in many scenes, with dialogue in front, ambient sounds behind, background music behind that, and so on. I have not heard anything like you describe, and I don't use any sort of DR compression. Is it possible that you have the levels of each speaker (receiver levels settings in menu, like center +3, fronts +3, sub +1, rears +5, etc.) set too high? Are you using any sort of automatic levels setting function of your receiver (where it uses a little mike, receiver generated test tones, sets levels automatically) that is not working as intended?

Is Fellowship of the Ring (can't remember the sound on the other two movies as I don't own them) mixed really hot or does just have very aggressive sound? Every time a troll or some other creature makes a growling sound, it sounds very harsh. Same when the black horse riders squeal, it sounds ear-piercing. Also the dialogue is sometimes also very aggressive and in-your-face with a lot of emphasis on the "s." This is one of the few movies that really makes me want to turn down the volume. Note, some movies sound very smooth at high volumes on my home theater but this one is certainly not one of them.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is it how they wanted it to sound?

FOTR is, IMHO, one of the best movies for both cinematography and sound ever. Simply spectacular. The ear-piercing squeal is a very good description and not something limited to your speakers or your room as I vividly recall this in the theater. In fact, I very clearly wondering how many dBs the squeal was hitting at the peak.

FOTR sounded like a movie is supposed to sound. Loud sounds were LOUD, and quiet sounds were quiet, and everything in between.

The shreak was ear splitting because it was supposed to be. Not trying to be snarky, but watch how the characters recoil at the sound.

Now, the emphasis on the "s" in speech - I didn't notice that.

One thing I have noticed is it sounds wonderful on my Outlaw 970, but when I was using my Pioneer AVR, I found myself constantly cutting the volume up and down because loud scenes were just harsh and uncomfortable to listen to, but when those were cut back, dialog was too quiet. I didn't have this problem once I upgraded to the Outlaw.

Watching it in DTS or DD?

I remember thinking that it sounded more harsh in DD where in DTS it was very dynamic but smoother sounding from the lower amount of compression per channel.

I took my spl meter into the theater at downtown disney for the opening showing of TTT and only measured about 97dB peak.

-Josh