Building a plinth but need proper size threaded inserts BSF???

seti

Ok guys I have been searching for threaded inserts for wood for a very long time. I am building a custom plinth for a turntable. I don't want to just screw it into the wood. It would be nice to have threaded inserts. The bolts that are in the table are BSF 1/4" 26 tpi. Do the Brits call these something other than threaded inserts? Does anyone know where I can purchase these? Any advice much appreciated.

Are you talking about t-nuts? If so, most hardware stores sell them. They look like THIS.

Sort of like tnuts. I may have to use an off size tnut. The problem is it is a british thread size.I was wanting something like these.

GPMQ3368-01.JPG

Hey Seti,

Those things you are showing in brass(I think) look like the inserts we use here in Florida for attaching hurricane panels to the wood framing/siding in our house. I think I bought mine from Ace Hardware but you might check McMaster Carr to see if they have what your looking for. If you've never used them, they sell to anyone with a credit card as far as I know. http://www.mcmaster.com/#threaded-inserts/=255a78

Hey Seti,

Those things you are showing in brass(I think) look like the inserts we use here in Florida for attaching hurricane panels to the wood framing/siding in our house. I think I bought mine from Ace Hardware but you might check McMaster Carr to see if they have what your looking for. If you've never used them, they sell to anyone with a credit card as far as I know. http://www.mcmaster.com/#threaded-inserts/=255a78

Thanks I sent them an email. The place it all falls apart is BSF.

6mm-1.0 tpmm works out to .236 and 25.4 tpi. I think the 6mm t-nuts or hurricane nuts are pretty common. Your screw might go in .....hard. If you could get ahold of a 1/4-26 tap i'd be willing to bet a 6mm would tap out nice to what you need. I guess it all depends on how much work you want to put into it. Good luck!

Jeremy

6mm-1.0 tpmm works out to .236 and 25.4 tpi. I think the 6mm t-nuts or hurricane nuts are pretty common. Your screw might go in .....hard. If you could get ahold of a 1/4-26 tap i'd be willing to bet a 6mm would tap out nice to what you need. I guess it all depends on how much work you want to put into it. Good luck!

Jeremy

Thanks. This is exactly what my brother said to do. I was hoping I missed something obvious like a different name like flashlight vs torch or bathroom vs Luu.

One easy solution is to get the 1/4 x 20 inserts and 1/4 x 20 hardware to fit what you have. Mcmaster Carr has a whole slug of different style fasteners.

JJK

Thanks

I need chrome dome slotted counter sunk 1/4 x 20.... I'll see what I can find.