Just bought a Marantz SR7001 receiver

wuzzzer

It'll be interesting to see what it does up against the Onkyo. Almost anyone I've asked has said that the Marantz does much better with music and two channel performance than the Onkyo. I do listen to a lot of music so that is something very important to me.

• THX Select2 Certified
  • HDMI (V1.2) Repeating: 4-In/1-Out
  • Up-Conversion (w/TBC) to HDMI with 480I/480P Converter
  • Current Feedback Amplification
  • 2nd Zone Audio/Video Output
  • Audyssey Auto Calibration
  • Dolby Virtual Speaker
  • XM-Ready with Discrete IR Commands
  • IR Flasher Input
  • x2 DC Trigger Outputs
  • New Shallower Chassis (<16”)
  • 110W x7-Ch Discrete Amp

• Moderators

It'll be interesting to see what it does up against the Onkyo. Almost anyone I've asked has said that the Marantz does much better with music and two channel performance than the Onkyo.

I too would love to hear your thoughts. I was never that impressed with my past two Onkyo receivers for 2ch listening. I've heard good things about Marantz. Good luck.

Both of ya'all will be very pleased with your Marantz receivers. I use their little brother SR-6001 in my living room system with some Anthony Gallo speakers and I like the features, build quality and sound quality better than my Denon 2808CI that is in my home theater... and the Denon was quite a bit more expensive than my SR-6001. I often think about switching the two around, however I just don't like to mess with reprogramming the remotes and re-arranging the IR connectors. The Marantz units will definately put a smile on your faces [:D]

I was really hoping to pick up an 8001 with its toroidal transformer and copper-plated chassis but after reading about the 7001 vs 8001 it sounds like there really wasn't much difference other than that. The previous owner had his set up just like I will so I know everything will work correctly (PS3 for blu-ray via HDMI for audio/video), etc.

I've changed out my amplification several times with my Fortes. Back when I was strictly two channel I had a Harman/Kardon HK3480 integrated amp and also a Rotel RB-980BX amp with Rotel RSX-960 (I think) pre-amp. The H/K had a lot more musical quality that neither the Rotel nor the Onkyo have. The Onkyo is absolutely stunning for home theater but it is lacking in the two channel arena. There isn't much stereo separation at all when listening to CDs, the soundstage is very narrow. I'm hoping that the Marantz will give me the best of both worlds.

I was really hoping to pick up an 8001 with its toroidal transformer and copper-plated chassis but after reading about the 7001 vs 8001 it sounds like there really wasn't much difference other than that. When I saw the 7001 on eBay today at a buy-it-now of $400 with free shipping and the 8% Microsoft cashback I couldn't hit the Commit to Buy button fast enough. The previous owner had his set up just like I will so I know everything will work correctly (PS3 for blu-ray via HDMI for audio/video), etc.

I've changed out my amplification several times with my Fortes. Back when I was strictly two channel I had a Harman/Kardon HK3480 integrated amp and also a Rotel RB-980BX amp with Rotel RSX-960 (I think) pre-amp. The H/K had a lot more musical quality that neither the Rotel nor the Onkyo have. The Onkyo is absolutely stunning for home theater but it is lacking in the two channel arena. There isn't much stereo separation at all when listening to CDs, the soundstage is very narrow. I'm hoping that the Marantz will give me the best of both worlds.

music is my main reason for getting it aswell. i want to be able to 2ch it when im not watchinng movies and ge that awesome crisp punch fromt the rf83s

• Moderators

The Onkyo is absolutely stunning for home theater but it is lacking in the two channel arena. There isn't much stereo separation at all when listening to CDs, the soundstage is very narrow.

That has been my experience with the Onkyo as well.

It'll be interesting to see what it does up against the Onkyo.

wuzzzer, cant wait to hear your feedback on the marantz, when i brought my denon i was deciding bettween the two, in the store they had a top end marantz playing 2ch through JAMO speakers and let me tell you it was amazing, there are so many HDMI ports in this one and also i have seen some marantz receivers with 2 HDMI outputs, what the??? does this one have that i cant really tell by this pic? and whats it for?

SR7001 THX Select2 Surround Sound A/V Receiver
$1399.99

still $1399.99 on their site

post-36853-13819475584714_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

i have seen some marantz receivers with 2 HDMI outputs, what the??? does this one have that i cant really tell by this pic? and whats it for?

The 7001 has 4in/1out. You can see the specs here. The Marantz 7002 has 4in/2out. There are probably a few reasons why you might need 2 outs, most people would not. In a dedicated theater room, you could have one HDMI out going to a plasma mounted on the wall for normal TV viewing. Then when it's movie time, drop down a motorized screen in front of the plasma and have the second HDMI going to the projector. In an ideal world, that's what I would have going on. LOL.

i have seen some marantz receivers with 2 HDMI outputs, what the??? does this one have that i cant really tell by this pic? and whats it for?

The 7001 has 4in/1out. You can see the specs here. The Marantz 7002 has 4in/2out. There are probably a few reasons why you might need 2 outs, most people would not. In a dedicated theater room, you could have one HDMI out going to a plasma mounted on the wall for normal TV viewing. Then when it's movie time, drop down a motorized screen in front of the plasma and have the second HDMI going to the projector. In an ideal world, that's what I would have going on. LOL.

the reason id have 2 is so i can watch the same thing in my workout room. ihave a dvr in the bed room and id need a second hdmi going to the work out room so i dont have to watch commercials. and my remote is the RF so it works through walls on 2.4 ghz channel. thank god for direct tv.

Got the receiver today. Seller packed it very well, thankfully. Looks to be 9/10 condition, very very nice. Has all the original accessories as far as power cable, Audyssey microphone, remote, manual, etc.

Unfortunately my wife won't let me set it up right now because she's watching TV. She sure knows how to drive a guy nuts. [8o|]