Help wanted with B&O turntable service

Noseyjoe

Just bought a great Beogram 1700 turntable off ebay for a few quid... tickled pink with it generally (a masterpiece of 70s Scandinavian design), but getting it across London on the back of my bicycle may have been traumatic for the old girl. Although cartridge and counterweight were removed for transit the veneer took a bit of a battering. Re-veneering is within my talents, but does anyone know how to adjust the tonearm height? I've experimented with every counterweight position and tracking weight but the arm still skates across the record when I press the reject button. Naturally this is alarming as it creates that horrible racket and may also be damaging to both record and stylus. Can't find any obvious way to raise the arm height during the reject process.

Also I have a bit of buzz through cartridge. In the past with turntables I've usually managed to cure this by just disconnecting and reconnecting cart or manipulating it slightly, but this isn't working with the Beogram. I assume it's a shielding problem of some sort but where's the usual seat of the problem on B&O decks, does anyone know? Thanks Andrew

If I remember right, if you place the tone arm over the place you want to start playback, then press the speed button, you will play back from that point at that speed, at least that is the way I seem to remember it from years ago. I must say that I do like my B&O table though I have not used it much in the last decade.

Thanks Cal I think you must be right, because I can't see any sensors or laser beams or other way for the deck to ascertain the diameter of the record. Guess I will have to get happy with 'semi-automatic' operation. The button that still mystifies me is the 'Turn' one, which just spins the platter for as long as you hold it down, almost like a DJ facility... can't see the Beogram, nice as it is, being exactly suitable for the dancefloor!

The button that still mystifies me is the 'Turn' one, which just spins the platter for as long as you hold it down, almost like a DJ facility... can't see the Beogram, nice as it is, being exactly suitable for the dancefloor!

Quoted from the user's guide found at that link I've provided above:

Wiping of Records

Pressing TURN will cause the turntable to rotate without the pickup being moved in. You may use a record cleaner of the type which leaves a damp film of pure water. It is unnecessary to use an underlay such as carbon discs for static discharge because the turntable in itself provides good metallic contact with all records.

That should de-mystify the "TURN" button for ya. [;)]

Many thanks Skonopa think that's all my problems now solved! And hum was just my dumb failure to remember that turntables needed an earth wire to the amp chassis in the old days. Now to re-veneer the plinth in rosewood...

Good! Glad to hear you got all you problems fixed. Seems those old Beograms turn-tables are pretty nice. Yes, you definitly have to make sure you hook up the ground wire for the turntable.

I bet it would look really nice once you get it done in rosewood - should post a picture when you are done.

Those strips are veneer over plastic and they just snap in place through holes on the sides. I was tempted to buy a junker on ebay just to salvage a set of strips because I lost the rosewood on my 1900 (bought new in 1975) many years ago. Didn't look too bad with the bare black metal and holes, but I got some wood strips from a hobby shop that were the perfect width and thickness.. Cut them to proper length, sanded them, beveled the ends to 45 degress so they would fit right at the corners, and spray painted them black, used a hobby craft two-part glue to place them. Turned out perfect.

Iosprophyl alcohol will bring back the deep clean sheen of the brushed aluminum deck top.

The button that still mystifies me is the 'Turn' one, which just spins the platter for as long as you hold it down, almost like a DJ facility...

To everything...there is a season...