History of the mightiest horn speaker - the Shearer Horn

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Only have room for one of these monsters in my small garage.[:(] They would be very easy to build though.

One of these years I hope to get a real house with a real garage....This BS of living in a subdivision with houses slammed together 8ft. apart, built using the cheapest of materials is for the birds.[:@]

I have to correct myself here, Snow wrote "Auditory Perspective-Physical factors", in Electrical Engineering, January 1934, and "Basic Principles of Stereophonic Sound" SMPTE Journal, November 1953. These were part of the papers Paul sent me on the 1933 experiment in reproducing three-channel sound transmitted via cable from Philadelphia to D.C.

The paper I was thinking of is:

"Auditory Perspective-Loud Speakers and Microphones" by Wente and Thuras, "Electrical Engineering" , 1934. I will scan that and post soon. There is a good pic of the speaker system but not much detail of inner construction.

These and the related papers on the Symposium on Auditory Perspective were part of the set of papers Paul had sent to me in the 70s. I would hope that Klipsch would still have repro rights and might supply them again. That experiment is still very impressive; three channels sent by a 40 KHz carrier, rather flat between 50-15,000 Hz, and 120 watts RMS to each of the 3 speakers.

I have been seeing this post for a moment now and just now got the time to read it and all I can say is wow that is really cool(my wife would never go for it.). So Hobie do you feel like a youngster again listening to movies on the same speaker that you did back at your hometown(by the way were at in KY you from I have family in the western part, my moms there know). Your system looks nice I feel for you in your subdivision hope you can find a home you can build a theater of your dreams in. good job reconditioning those they look really nice. I too just had a couple of theaters here in Omaha close down I tried to score some audio gear from them but all ready spoken for great job all together have fun and let us know how it sounds.

duder

Here's the Wente-Thuras article on the 1933 systems used in the Philadelphia-DC experiment. It is long on theory and very short of any details on how the LF horn was built The construction was probably not very relevant to the authors; the theory and results were more important. Plus there only 3 of these made and it was never intended to be a commercial design. I have always wondered what became of them.

Interesting reading.....ya don't need no stinkin speaker to do 20hz...[:^)] 40-13000 is just about right for 99% of all recorded stuff, especially back then before trying to recreate earthquakes and sound effects with the movie crowd.

I do remember going to the movie theatre and watching "Earthquake" with the then unknown to us, Shearer horn ,which was behind the screen....must have been around 1970 or so. Those field coil drivers must have been hurting bad trying to do that stuff.

I thought the movie Earthquake travelled with a dedicated subwoofer set up called "Sensaround", maybe that was only at bigger venues...or my onboard ROM is faultyConfused

Could have been...but in that small little town I'm from of 5k people, I doubt if they would have gone to the trouble or had the extra money likely involved in doing that, or had someone who would have hooked it up for them.

• 2 weeks later...

Got some testing done today. Rolled the big boy to the outside edge of the garage and hooked up the PC program directly to the Crown Macro Reference amp.

Posted Image

This is the response curve.

Posted Image

Rolled it back in to the corner of the room and took measurement on the LH, middle, and RH sides of the room then averaged them

Posted Image

Looks like it will be a handfull from 50hz up to 300hz.(which is where I'm going to cross them over ).a midbass monster at 106db eff.

Hey, you're the one who started me down this path.[;)] I'm just hoping that I will end up with the same bass slam that your Jubilee's have once I get some music playing through it. Working now on the front speakers. This is a pic of the 2 Audax PR170MO pro midrange drivers(7 1/2" diameter) , and the Ciare 1.38 tweeter (6" diameter) sitting on the baffle board ( this will all be 105db eff ), should mate up nicely with the RCA bass bin.

Posted Image

I have bought the 4-15" drivers needed for some Jamboree's, but need to finish this garage system before I start on that project for inside the Great Room.