Ideas for passive subs; have amp, need sub

RichardP

I am looking for suggestions for a passive sub (enclosure plus driver) to be driven by my PartsExpress 500w external sub amp. For the past year, I have used one of my KW-120 sub enclosures with the PE amp in my two-channel set up with the Belles. However, I have been wanting to put that KW-120 back with its twin in my home theater room for maximum low end (both powered by the KA-1000 amp). I don't want to spend a huge amount (<$500). I have come up fairly empty in my web searches for nonpowered subs (of reasonable quality, anyway). SVS does not make their CS passive series anymore, and PE doesn't seem to have any either. Nothing on Ebay or Audiogon either. Anybody have any ideas, or passive subs they want to sell? I don't really want to build one myself, despite that being the most direct route, nor do I have the option of IB. Thanks for any input.

Well, after a few hours of searching the web, I have found that high-end passive subs in my price range are few and far between. Danley, VMPS, and Elemental Designs make them, but priced from about $700 and up (well into the multi-thousand $ range). Someone posted just my question on AVS last month, and the above-named brands were the only ones mentioned, in addition to a suggestion of pro-audio models, which I know nothing about. What would be ideal in my setup is an SVS CS passive cylinder, and I recall someone here wanted to sell one several months ago. Again, if anyone has any additional information, please help me out. I am open to any type/brand, as long as it is no more than a few hundred $ and is about the same size as powered models. Thanks.

Thanks. I don't think I could make something that would look very good. I can make simple projects like picnic tables, but not fine indoor furniture-grade projects. I perused the Dayton pre-made cabinets on PE, but they were rated only mediocre by purchasers. Wouldn't DIY require software to calculate volume, ports, etc? I would rather pay someone else to do all that.

. Wouldn't DIY require software to calculate volume, ports, etc? I would rather pay someone else to do all that.

I'll bet DrWho or Michael Hurd might help with that if they were asked nicely [;)].

There's also Sonotube if you like the SVS look. All you have to make is end caps and the port (PVC). Cover it with the carpet dejour and you're done.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Consider Pro Audio passive subs. Guitar Center or your local musician - type gear store should have some. In the used market, be patient and try Craigslist etc. There is an internet marketplace for new and used gear, but I can't recall the name, but much of the gear was above your price point, and shipping could be an issue too.