Cornscala project

InVeNtOr

well i am thinking of building me a pair of Cornscalas. sounds like fun if i can pony up the dough!

here is what i plan on doing.

building a pair of towers 45" (h) x 17" (w) x 18.25" (d) {should be 6.54 cu. ft.}

use the veneer i have to do the finish work.

bob crites 15" sub woofer

apt150 tweeter (from parts express)

atlas pd-5vh mid driver

alk eng cornscal crossover (thinking of building a circuit card, but starting to give me headaches).

solen caps and resistors

sonic craft caps (2.2uf and 4.3uf)

bob crites autotransformer #3619

what i am missing is the mid range horn. i can buy some wooden ones from alk eng or GotHover, but were talking $400 neighborhood. i would like to see if there was something that doesn't put this project out of reach. i am having difficulties finding a horn that goes down to 400hz. i have found several different horns but they don't list the Hz so i pass them up. bob crites sells a ph-800 but 2 problems with that, too big and doesn't list Hz. i also need a horn less than 15" in width.

i found one horn, not too cheap, $80 ea but so far it seems to be the only one. it's P.Audio PH3616. JBL or P.Audio (copy) 2370A or PH 2370 would also work, but it's a little too big.

does anyone have any horns that would be less expencive and go down to 400Hz?

any help to get this Cornscala monster up and running would be appreciated!

You really need to re-consider the spending the extra $$$ and get the wooden tractrix horn. I think gothover has one that might fit in your box. There are also a few threads on how build your own if you are handy with woodwork. All of the plastic horns I have tried are shouty and harsh, in fact I was ready to give up on horns, then gave the fastrac 400 a shot with ALK crossovers. Now you couldn't pry them from me.

The P-Audio 3616 has an fc of 500hz, that would be good for a Cornwall, not sure its low enough for Cornscala.

Good luck on the Cornscala

Craig

It sounds like you're trying to keep costs down, so a 2" driver would not be the way to go. You may have to settle on a higher crossover point, given the width of your baffle and which horns it can accomodate, which would not be a terrible thing.

Al has dropped the price on his horn. I would save for the good horn. If you don't want to do that, then consider that crossing over at 400Hz doesn't necessarily result in a better sound than crossing over at 800Hz.

well i changed my mind a little, i am going to have to save up for the horn. it makes no sence to compermise and horn size when it's the most important speaker. the only reason i wanted a smaller horn is i wanted the Cornscala to be 17" wide, well now it's going to be 17.75" so not that big of an issue. ALK suggested i use the 902-16a driver, so i guess that's what i am going with.

I've started researching the same thing... First started with a set of Forte's and basic upgrades, now starting on a pair of cornwalls. I've heard a set of the older Altec vott's, so I'm probably leaning that way, but I'm curious about the 2" drivers and above (although they are probably out of my price range right now).

mid range horns generally increasing in price:

PH-800 (crites)

altec 511b (811b with higher crossover)

gothover fastrac

alk trachorn 400

JBL 2380A

fc260

Edgarhorn, 510/402 jubscala?

conserning the 902, now that i have read your comment again, Blvdre, i am not sure. i'll ask ALK if that is possible or even a good suggestion. i really don't want to mess with his schemitic. it seems like he took a lot of time to make sure it was done right. seems wrong to cut and splice it. it would save money, but i am going to try and build an outstanding tower speaker. i want to make sure i do it all right, because if for some reason it just won't work in my current set up, i want to be able to sell them. i know i wouldn't buy something someone made, if they just "threw it together."

You can go two-way with the 902, but all of these popular aftermarket horns collapse the vertical with increasing frequency. Sound we hear in a room is a combination of off-axis and on-axis energy. If the off-axis energy doesn't have the same uniformity as the on-axis energy, it results in an uneven power response. Speakers with an even power response sound better. I suggest you go three-way.

that's a much simplier schamatic than Al's. i would like to keep it a 3 way speaker, something i have been wanting. i also don't want to mess with Al's schamatic at all. from talking to him, it's set up just right so any changes will yeild not as good results.

here is a 3D drawing of the grill i would like to have. it's a modified RF-7 design. it's a stand off grill but with magnets. also the grill has to wrap around the speaker a little because of the mid horn going to the edge of the speaker. it's a "little out there" design, but it gives it a unique look, to me anyways. i'm not sure if it's possible to build, but i'll let my cabinet build run loose with it and see what happens. i may have have a 1/8th piece of wood and large cuts outs wrapped in speaker grill fabric, or maybe 1/4" wooden braces. that would be the cabinet builders area, i'm sure he'll come up with something.

cornscala tower with grill.pdf