OT , your late night dinner or snack concoction

sunburnwilly

Daddy Dee--I like SPAM too. It's sometimes fun to think back about years gone by. I remember copying my dad by making fried bologna sandwiches.

Oh yeh. Fried baloney sandwiches. My family used to travel from Little Rock to Jackson, MS to visit my grandparents on the farm, outhouse and all.

We'd arrive after dark and my grandmother would fix a supper of fried baloney sandwiches. just the fried slices, miracle whip and white bread. I thought there was nothing better. I decide to fix it once a year maybe, but it never seems as good as it did in her kitchen.

Then there'd be New Year's Day dinner of squirrel (at least three or four my grandfather had shot hunting) and dumplings. I never could get in to cracking open the skulls to eat the brains, but that was part of the adults' idea of a delicacy.

Back when I was just out of the Air Force and penniless I would have fried baloney or '"flat steak" 2 or 3 times a week along with SOS or ---- on the shingle(sausage gravy poured over cheap biscuits). I make it a point to avoid both these days- after hundreds of meals eating the same stuff it got old real fast. When I was very young I would go out with 4 or 5 .22 bullets and kill/clean several squirrels. Better bring back the same number of squirrels as bullets that you left with or catch heck. My grandmother would fix squirrel dumplings. Sounds disgusting but really not bad. Never did the brain thing. I ate pies baked with birds killed form the back yard with my bb gun. Fried rabbits- doves- and just one possum. The possum is the most disgusting thing that I ever tried to eat. Once was enough. Meat was a luxury and wild game was a bonus. I think about this sometimes when I am wolfing down a big Porter house or a plate of expensive raw fish and washing it down with a nice bottle of cabernet.My kids have no clue how good they have it.

Sometimes I'll throw together a quick omelette.

That's really what this thread is all about . Can't go wrong with an omlette regardless of the filling . More cheese please ! An omlette should be the first thing a young man or women learns how to make when they head out on they're own . These days I prefer the frittata , just heat the leftovers or whatever in a skillet and then pour the egg mixture on top . Stir and let set a bit then throw into a 350 degree oven for 6 or 7 minutes . Top with lot's of cheese of course .

Sunburnwilly's pizza sure looks good but too many onions and jalapenos for me. I also can't stand mustard for some reason so I'd have to lightly dust my hamburger in catsup.

Well , if I were ever to make one for you I would keep your dietary restrictions in mind .

Well the forum is screwy tonight . Tried to post a pic of a chicken breast , bacon , swiss chz , provalone chz , onion , jalapeno and shredded lettuce blue chz ranch dressing sandwich . Turned out very well , as most of the things we make at 1:00 am tend to [:D].

post-18289-13819476870532_thumb.jpg

After 5 minutes I pulled the pan out and switched the oven to broil ; still at 350f . I added shredded chedder and swiss chz. and placed back in oven for 2 minutes .

Here's the finished fritatta dressed with Texas Pete and ketchup . Game on !!!

post-18289-13819476983302_thumb.jpg

That looks good.

Made some " chocolate melting cakes" tonight and had a few left over, so there's one less now and a little less cold milk also .

Yeah man , those look tasty !

I got some store bought red velvet cake in the fridge that I am thinking about taking down ; after seeing your cake pics . Wanna see ?

• Moderators

Not really I feel like I should have not had the chocolate cake, it's very rich, and looking at what you had didn't help. I should not look at this thread after a certain time at night, watching you cook makes me want to eat something when I shouldn't.

After some damage .

Sorry Willy....but that sammich looks nasty. Bet it tasted better than it looked though. Smile

Man-oh-man did those comments about fried bologna and spam bring back memories. Back when my Dad was in the Air Force, I guess you could say we weren't "well off". Never knew what a real steak tasted like until I was almost 12. Up until then it was either flour coated & pan fried spam or hamburger steak or if we were lucky....cubed steak (where in the sam dickens did that term come from?) that my Mom would beat the crap out of with that pulverizer hammer-looking thing. And even then she'd used Adolf's meat tenderizer!!!

And that fritata thing reminded me of a quickie meal Mom would make. She'd put a little bit of Wesson oil in a fry pan, throw in some frozen french fries & chopped onions and let them cook a bit. Then she'd scramble two eggs and pour that in and when almost done, add a slice of Velveeta cheese.

Another sardine concoction......chop up some garlic (or use that already chopped stuff from a jar) and a bit of onion. Combine that and one or two cans of sardines in a bowl. Into the bowl, add a handful or so of cold left-over spaghetti and toss with a bit of olive oil and salt & pepper to taste.

Tom