Questions new Home Theater System

columbusdjkc

I just purchased two RF-82 an RC-62 two RS-62's. I was going to buy an RSW-10D but they were back ordered for quite some time and didn't feel like waiting so instead I bought a KW-120 THX and a KA1000 Amp. I am powering the speakers with a new Denon 910 Watt AVR4310CI. I also bought a Harmony One remote. I have several questions for anyone whose willing to answer.

1) Is this a good starter surround sound?
2) I have no idea what I should set the amp to does anyone have any advice? I'm not all that savvy with sound.
3) I plan on putting the sub in the corner by one of the RF-82's, would that drain the RF-82 out?
4) THe speakers and KA1000 cost me about $3189, did I get a decent deal?

Sorry if these questions are stupid. Just thought I'd come here because everyone seemed a lot smarter then I am!

• Moderators

1 YES very nice.

2 Me, I would use a db meter and set all the channels to the same volume from you seating position, others will help with crossover frequencies, i would guess about 80. Or if your new HTR has one of those auto setup deals try that then adjust from there.

3 No it should be fine they shouldn't play much of the same frequencies anyway ( nice sub) [Y]

4 Not familiar with Rf prices but to me it sounds like a good deal.

Others will be along with other opinions and help, Welcome you did good.

Welcome to the forum. That is a very NICE system, I dont know if it classifies as a "starter" sytem though. Hopefully somebody will chime-in regarding your set-up questions since I am not too familiar with setting up the KA1000 and KW-120. I'm sure you will be grinning ear to ear once everything is set and calibrated.[:D]

Thanks for everyone whose responded so far. Any more guidance would be most appreciated! Also any facts that anyone thinks I should know about the receiver would probably be helpful too. I know it's a fairly new model Denon. I wasn't able to find out very much info on it.

Welcome to the forums!

I don't have ANY reference but it does sound like a nice setup indeed.

As to the location of the sub. The room will dictate where the sub should go. The shape of the room has a lot to do with how the sub will sound. A quick way to find the starting point for the location of the sub is to place the sub in your listening position and get a test tone going for it. Then you walk around the room listening to where the sub gets louder or quiet. Make sure you listen at the height that the sub will be playing at!

There will be lots of places that you can't hardly hear the sub at all and then there will be places that it sounds great. Place it in the great spots! You don't want to toss it out there as you will have a hit or miss on the location and the last thing you want is to not hear it at your listening position.

Enjoy your gear, it is nice!

Have you heard of avsforum.com? They have some pretty good forums for most consumer electronics. A little biased toward some brands. Since your 4310 is such a new model there isnt much out there as far as user information. Here is a thread for the 4310. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1153097

I dont find anything of much use in it since the receiver is so new, but maybe you will find something. I know Denon had a BIG issue on newer units trying to download a firmware upgrade upon install, but the Denon server was crashed which left a lot of units in the "flash" phase and inoperable. I believe this has been resolved, but it is all I have heard.

The Denons are not that difficult to setup in my opinion. Connect the speakers and run the Audyssey setup. If you have a picture or layout of the room post it and I'm sure somebody will chime in with placement options if you're not sure.