Oppo DV-981HD

tom b. 57

I picked up a new in the box 981 to replace my 970. I am curious, is the sound quality going to be the same, better or not as good?

I am only using it for two channel music. I haven't even taken it from the box yet and have already sold off the 970 to a friend, so I guess I'm stuck with it regardless.

I remember reading a thread that said the 980 is a bit better than the 981 for audio and I am just wondering if I might have waited for a 980 instead of grabbing this 981?

Is the difference in sound quality very noticeable, or , is it just slight?

The price, I thought at $75.00 was a good one, for new. What is the take on this price? Fair , low, or too much?

Any remarks appreciated.

Thank you, Tom

I've a 981 and can't tell you if the others sound "better," as I've not heard them. However, I've never heard a better CD player that the 981, it that is worth anything.

I just rec'd a notice from the that they are now taking orders for July delivery of the OPPO BR player. I am disappointed in the price and it will be a while before I get one for that reason, but that will still be my next purchase. Given what many here pay just for a CD player, I suppose the 400 plus dollars isn't really much...but it is over twice the price of the previous models and I'd hoped for something more like 300 or so. It's possible they've developed enough following to raise their prices (and why not...sigh) or they may have really put some improvements into the circuitry and build quality...or it may be a combination of the two.

In any event, it's the BR player for Dave, and CD, HDCD, DVD-A, SACD and making coffee. Still the only price/performance game in town, IMHO.

Dave

I was just informed by my friend that the 970 I sold him is having issues. He states that the player will freeze up during scene changes and occassionally at other times while playing a dvd. I have never used this unit for dvds. I always used it for two channel cds.

At one point several months ago I let a friend check it out in a home theater application and he raved about how well it performed playing movies. This particular friend stated that it worked flawlessly for him.

Any thoughts on what might be going on with it? Is it just getting old and worn out? Could it be a simple fix? Anyone have similar problems?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks, Tom

I was just informed by my friend that the 970 I sold him is having issues. He states that the player will freeze up during scene changes and occassionally at other times while playing a dvd. I have never used this unit for dvds. I always used it for two channel cds.

At one point several months ago I let a friend check it out in a home theater application and he raved about how well it performed playing movies. This particular friend stated that it worked flawlessly for him.

Any thoughts on what might be going on with it? Is it just getting old and worn out? Could it be a simple fix? Anyone have similar problems?

Thanks, Tom

Hey Tom,

I have the 970 and use it for Music and Movies. I have never had any issue's with it.

Most electronics can be "reset". Usually you hold the power button in for ten seconds or something like that. If he or you have the manual, find out how to reset it to factory settings and see if that gets rid of the problem. Let me know if you need me to dig out my manual. Remember, after it is reset, you'll have to go through all of the set-up menu's again. But it may take care of the problem.

I hope this helps,

Dennie

Thanks, Tom

Hey Tom,

I have the 970 and use it for Music and Movies. I have never had any issue's with it.

Most electronics can be "reset". Usually you hold the power button in for ten seconds or something like that. If he or you have the manual, find out how to reset it to factory settings and see if that gets rid of the problem. Let me know if you need me to dig out my manual. Remember, after it is reset, you'll have to go through all of the set-up menu's again. But it may take care of the problem.

I hope this helps,

Dennie