OK here is an OT info request.......need a good .22 blank pistol

J.4knee

Why you ask??? Well ...the dog sport I play in requires the dogs to execute an obedience routine (specifically healing exercise), while two or possibly more gun shots are fired. I have tried inexpensive ones but the firing pins are garbage and fail in a short period of time. I am tired of sending them back for new ones that exhibit the same problem. I have been looking for a NEF pistol but they seem to have been discontinued. Anyone know where I can find a good .22 blank revolver?????

Maybe I have an idea. Way back in the day, before computer simulated gunfights, we trained in "Red Handle Gun Exercises".

What that actually was was a REAL .38 cal. pistol, modified to shoot a plastic case with a real primer installed. we packed the plastic shells with cotton, to verify accuracy in role play exercises.

I'd suggest a older, used, cheaper, snubnosed .38 (Like a chief's special S&W brand) and modify it by cutting off some empty brass cartridges off at about 3/8" long and shoving the cut off ends down into the cylinder (so there's no way to chamber a real round in the weapon). Then take the remaining cartridges and just load new primers in them and use those to practice with.

You'll never wear that starter pistol out.

Heck maybe do a google or ebay search for "Red handle gun" you might get some old training pistols already modified on the cheap.

Why not just buy a good .22 revolver? It will have other purposes.like can killin'

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAFamily?type=Revolver&subtype=Single%20Action&famlst=10

I was thinking that maybe there was a problem with carrying a Real firearm to a competition, by rendering a firearm inoperable, and identifying as such, that should prevent anyone from having a "Hissy".