I'm at a loss

I sat down and listened to the Bose Acoustimass 16 and a couple of the amplified "lifestyle" systems. In the Bpse showroom they had some midrange game, kind of a thumpy lowe end and a price tag that looks like the down payment on an Astin- Martin DB-6. I mean, I didn't hate them like I thought I would, but I didn't think they have the game of my Forte II/Heresy II combination.

The amplified versions know how to compensate for Bose anomalies in frequency response, and the sound in some of the midrange was fairy detailed, certainly belyining the little boxes the drivers come in. As far as volume gois, no they don't get near my current system. But I was truly shocked at the price, wow, to think they have enough rich people to buy this overpriced stuff.

The GF wanted them for her new little room, after looking at the price tag and listening to them I say, go ahead, put it on your card. Actually it was no where near what I am used to, but they well, were not Klipsch but ok. Hey, I'm no big fan of the Synergy series, and these well, they are pricey but if she can live with them, I can. Bright midrange and thumpy bass. all for only $1600, wow what a deal...I think I'm going to swallow a bug.

So true...These rather expensive little guys have a bright, open midrange, kind of boomy bass and some pretty fair high high end. Granted they cost a whole lot of money, and they don't quite have the presence of my Forte II's. They do appeal to me a little more than the RF/RC-52 System we have. The Forte II's are really a sort of heritage speaker, well thought out and without a honk in them. I never liked the Synergy series and the Reference series, well, I'm ambivilent. Maybe the GF is right. I came into life indoctrinated, my mom bought K-Horns back in 1962, when a kid. My first pair of speakers were Heresy's.

Maybe I need this change in a room I never use to really appreciate what I have in other rooms. Who kows, excpet that on top of a lot of money for Mexican made stuff, it's going to cost me to mount them in her office. The detail of the some of the material really did ger me. I mean you couln't prry my Heritage stuff from my cold, dead hands. The Icon series leave me cold, hey, maybe this is the way it is for me. So often we like the personality of our heritage products, never mind the outstanding dynamic range and sheer physicsl presence of them.

I live 10 miles east of Bose Central, so beilieve me it hurts more than you could know. Heck, the pricey little bastards ain't half bad, even if they end up on my credit card.

Don't let the glossy ads fool you, they are bad, very bad, heck they even closely guard their specs, never publicizing them.

Bose is the Devil's workshop, I'm convinced. And all that plastic is going to end up in a landfill one day. Not like my Klipsch Heritage.

M

I have no doubt they nay beand I think the new Bose buikding got a discount on landfill, some thing about using old Mexican paper cone tweeters.I've been living up here in Bose Central for years, I'm immunt to the propoganda, heck if I weren't, I'd already have a "Bose Car" and go to the factory store sales. We don't even have the Bose Table Radio.

I think the $1600 for somethin w/no spec sheet will get me, it's like buying a car w/o knowing the horsepower of gas milage.

I'll just tell her that they may be pretty, but not as pretty as she is.

• Moderators

" I'll just tell her that they may be pretty, but not as pretty as she is. "

That's the only spec sheet you need, she's not trying to convert you, go ahead and make the lady happy ! [;)]