Marantz 2325 vs Scott 299D

HPower

Hey Guys,

I am considering these two (different) units to drive my Klipschorns and would like to hear from anyone
who has had a chance to compare the vintage Marantz and Scott sounds.

I have a line on both of these and depending on the final selling prices, it would be a bit of a stretch
to buy both, do some comparing, and then find a buyer for the 2nd place finisher.

So far the KHorns (my ears) have preferred the tubes that I have tried:
Quicksilver Mid Monos, Jolida 300B, Welborne DRD45s
vs the SS amps:
First Watt F3 (clone), and my Denon AVR.

It was a couple of years ago that I auditioned tuned4life's Cornwals and was impressed enough with
the way they sounded on Doug's 2325 that I bought the Corns.
To me Neil Young never sounded so good...
then again it was my 1st serious listen to Klipsch speakers.

just remember Khorns and cornwalls are two different beasts......I have yet to find the amp that made my corns sound bad, khorns, it is very hit or miss.

I love LOVE the combo of my vintage tube Sansui AU-111 (extremely high end vintage tube amp) and Cornwalls, but not so much on the khorns.....same with my Mcintosh MC-2505....

the designs I love on the khorns (and this is just my taste) tend to be the more modern, transparent, clean and lean designs.....due to the great sensitivity of the khorns

All I can say is to try to audition the scott/marantz on the khorns and don't go by what you remember on the corns

just my experience on my khorns in my room....hope this helps......I would say go with a nice modern tube design if you can swing it....

Hey fender... tblake,

So far the Welborne DRD45 + Peach II have been the best I have heard driving my KHorns and now after downsizing those

pieces out of the system I wanted to try the vintage thing while trying to keep the budget in check.

Yesterday I won an Ebay auction for, what looks like a very nice condition 299D:

Item number: 130315254374

I may have paid a little over the going rate, but it seemed in great condition and it is in driving distance (3.5 hr) to pick-up.

Today I auditioned the 2325 that I had my eye on:

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/133287-marantz_2325_receiver_in_excellent_condition_with_wood_case/

It is also in very good conditon as the ad describes and I brought my Heresys along to try to get a feel for how the Marantz sounds on Klipsch.

The Heresys sounded good with the 2325 but I agree with you fender, in that the sound may translate differently on the Klipschorns.

tblake10,

Your thoughts echo what I was guessing so I think that I will wait on the Marantz until I pick up the 299 (probably this Saturday) and listen

to it through the KHorns.

HP:

Congrats and I think you will be nicely surprised with the scott.....

After your post I quickly switched my vintage Au-111 to my khorns and I was impressed.....it wasn't what the BBX/rogue combo is but we are talking nuances.......actually for classic hard rock that doesn't have the best recording/engineering the sansui had a slight edge, because its not as transparent and slightly "vintage sounding"

I'm sure you miss your Wellbornes, but there are pluses and minuses with every system.......enjoy and I look forward to hearing your impressions!

• 10 years later...

I have Marantz 2325 restored with a pair of Heresy IIs upgraded to Heresy IIIs.  The sound, imaging, separation, and clarity is legendary at low power settings and

heart pounding when you crank it, but still legendary!  I am getting a pair of Heresy IVs and I will let you know what they are like.  They were an improvement in the showroom.

• Like 2