Cornwall III, RF-83 or Heresy III (for 2 channel music listening only)

Beta

I could use some help. I have posted here recently in the past. Unfortunately, my quest to educate myself in an effort to make an upgraded speaker purchase has created confusion and hesitancy in my mind.

The pupose of the purchase is to replace a pefectly pristine pair of Polk Audio RT-2000i towers. Unfortunately, I simply don't like the Polks. They produce way too much base and the highs sound "flat" to my ears. I think they are better suited for home theater usage. This purchase was a mistake I made some years ago (no offense intended to Polk fans). My goal is to avoid a "repeat".

The use will be purely for 2 channel music listening. No home theater. My power source is a Parasound Halo A-21 250 watt amp and Parasound Halo P-3 pre amp.

Many within this forum rave over the Cornwall. This has caused me to become interested in them. The only drawback in my mind with the Cornwall is their significant size. The RF-83 interest me bacause of their smaller footprint. I am also curious about the Heresy because of their smaller size.

Comments about these three speakers and how they might sound (yes this is a subjective question) with my Parasound amp/pre amp would be really appreciated.

Thanks a bunch!

CW and Heresy have the Heritage sound. Warm and inviting. The RF 83 are also an excellent speaker, but with a different sound.

For WAF the RF 83 though taller are better sutied for their size. The Heresy's would probably need a sub to help with low end sound.

The CW are as you stated Huge and take lots of room. However, they of all three deliver the most appealing sound ! (IMO). If you have the Room !

Any of the three will work fine with your Parasound equipment.....................

I have both Cornwalls and Heresy Is I love them both for two channel, I have herd the 82s and to me they also sound good but with modern technology implanting a bias opinion in my head to me they seem they would be better for theater(I don't know if that makes since to you), but that's for the 82s so hopefully someone with the 83s will chime in and give you their opinion. I thought my Heresys placed in the corner gave great bass response but maybe a 10" sub woofer for music wouldn't hurt to go along with them. (IMO).

duder

You'll be GTG with any of those (Corns, Heresy or 83s). You have some really good electronics you might think about buying something that will last a lifetime and be a match for your excellent gear. All the ones you are looking at are fine speakers, may I suggest also looking at the new RF-7 classic (I have not heard them but I'd sure like to). Just re-released from Klipsch. I like 2 ways.

Thanx, Russ

I own H3s and really like them but you may be looking for more if it's your main system.

• Moderators

Where are you at, they may have someone you could go audition a few models ?

If I were you I would not buy anything until you can listen to a few models, you can't tell anything about how a speaker sounds from numbers !

I am in the Orange County (south of Los Angeles) area of Southern California. It would be great to find a dealer that carried all three so I could audition them. Any dealer recommendations in my area would be appreciated.

This purchase is for my main system. I am willing spend what is necessary (within relative reason) to purchase high quality speakers that will hopefully last a lifetime.

Thanks again for your knowledge and opinions.

Beta,

I think it depends on what you listed to and where you plan to put your speakers. I really wanted

Cornwalls, but I could not fit them in the living room. If I got the Cornwalls they would have been in

the basement. My H3s fit nicely in the living room and the plus is that I can listed while doing

chores and eating dinner. The caveat is I listed to accoustic jazz. I attended a Dave Brubeck concert

in June and was able to watch the bass player and Dave's use of bass piano keys. In the 2 hour

concert there were probably on 3 times any note was played below 50Hz. So for this music

H3s are fine. Now if you are into techno, pipe organ, or some bass heavy classical, you will

want the Cornwalls. I am happy with the H3s, and someday I will may get Cornwalls and hear those

3 or 4 notes the H3s can't play.

Rich

Beta, Perhaps you should consider a used pair of Chorus II's, which, while it still has a significant footprint is not as wide as the Cornwall. Both speakers have their champions on this board and both are excellent. On the used front Forte II's might fit the bill as well.

Beta, I think you need to log some audition time with a lot of different speakers (not just klipsch) to find what really floats your boat. The only reason you seem interested in cornwalls is because of forum chatter. Considering this is a Klipsch forum, you will find high praise of virtually every klipsch model here. Take it with a grain of salt. Get out there on the street and hit all the audio stores you can and listen to everything that fits the bill in terms of price, size, looks, etc. Then make a decision. If you're really wanting to make a lifetime purchase, that's the only way to go, imo.

• Moderators

Beta, Perhaps you should consider a used pair of Chorus II's, which, while it still has a significant footprint is not as wide as the Cornwall. Both speakers have their champions on this board and both are excellent. On the used front Forte II's might fit the bill as well.

If you had a way to listen to either of those you would probably be very happy and also save your self a LOT of money by buying used ( the only way to buy these ).

For that matter if either of these come up for sale local to you just buy them and if your not happy with them resell for the same money or more depending on how much you pay, either pair should go for $500 or less in very nice shape used. And you hardly ever hear anyone say something bad about these two. [Y]

That's what I would do If I had the money to buy new Cornwalls, or Heresy. I would just buy all used have like 8 pairs of speakers and start to look like some of the rest of us around here. Cause if you buy one pair of Klipsch you will buy more so I'd start with pair of Chorus, Fortes, Heresies, Cornwalls,.. Then start up grading all the caps, and tweeters, then on, and on, and on. You probably get the point. Probably should do what somebody around said and hit the streets and go to every audio store you can and try everything out. I think I went off the deep end hopefully I don't scare him/her away.

duder

Guest David H

Beta, personally I lean towards the Cornwall, or if you have the inclination build a set of Cornscala's. I have owned Reference, many sets of Heresy's Cornwalls, Lascala' etc. and I still keep coming back to the Cornwall. I think the Cornwall is a great sounding balanced speaker.

Agree with Duder and Gothover. My wife bought me RF5's for Xmas sometime back, which I returned after listening to them for awhile. Then I went out and bought used Forte II's which I still own, put in new caps, tweeters, then saw a pair of used Cornwalls which I bought, recapped, refinished, new tweeters,and changed grill cloth on. I still look in Ebay and Craigslist almost daily for the next find. Love the Fortes and Cornwalls but the Cornwalls are where the music gets played most.

I can simply tell you my experience. I bought Cornwalls back in 1978s. I have replaced every single other component since then...its been fun researching and replacing them thanks to advice in this forum.

Of the many times I listened to the Heritage series at Hillcrest Hi Fi in Dallas...I always chose the Cornwall...because it sounded most like the music I listened to...rock, blues, and jazz. The Heresy just did not make it sound real to me. The Cornwalls do not necessarily need a large room...in my house they sound best in a 12 x 13 x 8 bedroom. Yes, they are bigger...but again, yes they are bigger.

I also say the Cornwall III, hands down. I've heard all three in a dealer demo room. The Cornwall is so dynamic, just really makes a big sound to match its size, and made it really fun to listen to music. You may also want to consider a different amp, though I've not heard yours. A solid state amp needs to be pretty darn smooth to sound good on these. They are extremely efficient and love tubes, however many have had great results with SS and I'm currently between amps and running mine with a Trends 10.1 T-amp.