A question about preouts

dtel

• Moderators

I have a Yamaha RX-V730, it has preouts for all channels. The question is it has an A-B button on the front for two sets of speakers, I use A for the front two for HT. I wanted to use this Receiver for a second 2 ch setup as a pre-amp only.

If I were to plug in the wires to the amps into the pre outs does that work off of A or B, or whatever you have the button pressed to ?

I don't have everything here yet to set it up so I can't just try it, just thought I would ask ?

When I have speakers on both A and B whichever one I press or both works when in Ht mode that's what made me ask. The book only says the normal connection for the speakers still works when the preouts are used, thats all it says.

I doubt it would work but I was hoping I could use A for Ht and B for the 2 ch with Pre out's.

Sorry it's not easy to explain what I am talking about.

OK your AB switch only works for speakers powered by the amp section in your receiver. If you run your L/R pre outputs to an outboard amp for 2 CH use your A/B switch will have no affect on the speakers powered by your outboard amps.

• Moderators

OK your AB switch only works for speakers powered by the amp section in your receiver. If you run your L/R pre outputs to an outboard amp for 2 CH use your A/B switch will have no affect on the speakers powered by your outboard amps.

Ok when I don't press one of the A-B buttons, the front L & R does not play just the center and rears play. So if I don't press either and press the direct 2 Ch button ( turning off the other speakers) right now nothing plays but if I had another amp plugged into the L & R pre out would that cause a signal to the pre out ? If it does it would work.

I was hoping to use it as a preamp without disconnecting the wires going to the Ht mains or the wires going to the other amp every time I wanted to use the Ht speakers or play 2 Ch at least until I get a real preamp which will be a while.

Yes (I think). You're talking about two totally separate loops

Diagramed here

Source-> Yamaha preamp section -> A/B switch -> speakers

-> PREAMP OUT->outboard amp->speakers

Note than no speaker should be attached to two amplifers simultaneously (the receiver and the outboard amp for instance). NO NO. If you want to do this (using the same speakers for both HT and separate 2 channel rig, you'll need an A/B switcher box to select which amp will play the speakers)

Yes, I agree, a bit tough to explain. I will assume you are trying to only use 1 or the other.

pre-out to an out board amp will work as you would expect.

A speaks and B speaks can be run one at a time, both, or none (like when you want to use the preouts)

you need to change the setting from HT to stereo and turn off A & B, then you will only have signal to your outboard 2-channel setup.

but like michael said use different speakers or get A/B switches.

Hope this helps

• Moderators

It would be two different sets of speakers one run with preouts and different amps and the other connected normally to the Yamaha, hopefully controlled by the A-B switch or maby the preouts and turning off both A-B.

What I will try first is just using the preouts and 2 Ch button, then go from there and see what is lets me do as far as the A B buttons do. I don't think It would hurt anything just more speakers may play than what I wanted and a switch box may be needed to disconnect the HT front L R ?

I am giving myself a headache thinking about this and it all really depends on how the receiver is configured.

I will find out at the end of the week when I have the rest of the wires and the Dx 38 here, then I can start frying/connecting everything ! I had to order some XLR male to female and XLR to RCA,

Michael you know this commercial stuff is a whole different animal when it comes to wires ! [:^)]

I will find out at the end of the week when I have the rest of the wires and the Dx 38 here, then I can start frying/connecting everything ! I had to order some XLR male to female and XLR to RCA,Idea

Hopefully, when you connect your XLR-to-RCA cables, everything will work as expected, but sometimes the connections at the XLR will need to be swapped around and re-soldered, at least that's what happened when I hooked up my Dx.

• Moderators

Hopefully, when you connect your XLR-to-RCA cables, everything will work as expected, but sometimes the connections at the XLR will need to be swapped around and re-soldered, at least that's what happened when I hooked up my Dx.

I was just reading about that the other day and they even had a drawing of which leads to move to another, probably moved the to the ground to -- side, If I have a problem I will go back and try to find the diagram. I hope that's not the case I am not crazy about soldering in small tight spaces with tiny wires, I have enough problems soldering something big and ugly.

It's going to be in this order

Pre amp to EV DX38 ( 2 Rca to XLR ), into 2 Crown D 75's ( 4 XLR female to XLR male ), I am hoping with only 1 change from one style plug to another I don't get any hum, but we will see.

turning off your A and B speaker outs would seem to isolate them from the receiver's amplifier so you could then power them up with the stereo 2 ch amp. However when you listen to HT with the A receiver out engaged, you will then have TWO amps connected to the same speaker- still a no-no.

M

• Moderators

I will know by this weekend hopefully, the D 75 is 35 WPC which on paper should work ok for inside, but until you try it there's no telling. I got a good deal on these, 2 D 75's both for $225 plus 35 shipping. I never tried them I hope they work! [:o]

Some amps will remove two channels for a completely seperate signal for another room (DVD in room A and CD in room B). However, that is normall at the sacrifice of two channels. That means you'd only be getting 5.1 in your DVD room instead of 7.1 b/c two channels are dedicated to the other room for the CD player.

HTH!

• Moderators

I don't think his receiver has a "room 2" out. I have the feature on my preamp, and find it very useful.

Your right it only has A- B and they can only play from the one source the receiver is set to.

Not a problem because the Ht and 2 CH will be in the same room. Now the cables being shipped by UPS is rescheduled for Monday so a little more of a Wait.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Just to let you know how it ended up working.

OK [:D] It works like I had hoped.

I used the L & R pre-out to go to a 2 ch system which just uses the HTR as a pre-amp , I left my Ht L & R speakers connected to the receiver also. On the front of the receiver there is two buttons, speakers A & B, the Ht speakers are on A when I press that button the Ht works perfect, if I don't press the A button the signal goes to the 2 CH system.........perfect.