V-Trac Demo Review

jcmusic

Re: v-trac demo impressions

Ok guys I don'y know really where to begin, I got the demos and the first thing I did was to connect one of them to compare it to the original setup. No contest the demo horn was so much more efficent I could not even here the k-400 from my listening chair. Futher when I was in another room the sound was really good and to think that was coming from just one of them WOW!!! Ok so on to connecting the second demo, this is where things got a little crazy. There was an imediate noticable difference, So much claity, detail, inner detail, and improvment in the mid bass area. It just sort of cleaned up everything around it, the mid bass was most improved. Like I said everything associated with it got cleaned up to the point of elegance, the minute details were really really made obvious. The soundstage was much improved as was the imaging, you couls actually sit off axis and it sound great.

Now to dial in the proper settings, I started freash the next day on this and slowly listened and worked my way through the various settings. Trying to arrive at the right balance for my room, at first I thought these were going to overpower my room by a long ways. Well after two days of tinkering I got it right and then there was the magic, my system never sounded so good it was alot more than what I expected. All of a sudden everything fell into place and I thought OMG!!! what a really really nice sound. I had found the right settings for my room with a really good balance in the k-horns themselves. I started trying different formats even CD's sound completely elegant, with just the right amount of everything. These BMS drivers were the key to it all, they did everything as right as you could want it. Just an overwhelming expirence of wonderful sound. I didn't think the Beyma tweeters were nearly as good as the BMS drivers and horns, they didn't hurt anything; but I think I could live with just about any tweeter and these drivers.

There is so much more I can say about my expirence with the demos, it gets a little over the top. The depth of the music was fantastic, the realism of the music and the natrual sound of the horns is more than I ever expected. I could go on and on you are just going to have to hear them for your selves. Take it for what it is worth YOU WILL NOT BE DISSAPOINTED. Get on the list and hear them if you want to take big your Heritage Speakers to ultimate level they can achieve wiithout changing the stock cabinet. I am sure to say more later as it dawns on me, but for now I need to reflect some. BTW the guy in my audio club were blown away to say the least!!! To mention a couple of them Richard Gray of the RGPC, and Nick Ferber a friend of DR. Bruce Edgar, who I believe was the original tractrix horns designer, and a few other golden ears.

I forgot to list my system as demoed: Sophia Electric 300B MKII amp, Rogue Audio 99 Magnum pre, Ah Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CDP, VPI Scoutmater/JMW 9, Otari MX 5050 BII Reel 2 Reel, Tape Project Tapes, RGPC power conditioner.

Jay

Jay,

I knew you would be impressed. Great review. Yes that BMS driver is the key and with Greg's horn its a no brainer. After I purchased the horns and drivers and now have had time to get things really dialed in ( WOW ) I have never heard khorns sound this good. It just really seems to improve the over all voicing of the khorns. I have always looked forward to listening sessions at home with my system but now it is really an event.

Randy

Whenever you're ready Jay, I've got some all boxed up and ready to go. I'm glad you liked what you heard. Every time someone gets the demo units and has the kind of experience you had, it reaffirms what I continue to hear with mine.

You asked about being able to remove the grill cloth, and I've thought about it, but I can't seem to figure out an easy way to do it. I'd have to build a whole new frame to fit over the front of the V-Trac horn frame. It would have to be substantial enough to hold the grill cloth stretched over it, and as such would probably stick out beyond the front of the tophat pieces when it was installed. I could do this, but it would be a redesign and custom build.

For any of you Khorn owners out there who are wondering what all the hubbub is about www.dcchomes.com/Vtrac.html

Greg

Whenever you're ready Jay, I've got some all boxed up and ready to go. I'm glad you liked what you heard. Every time someone gets the demo units and has the kind of experience you had, it reaffirms what I continue to hear with mine.

Ok guys I just finished listening to my original setup for the first time since Greg's V-Trac demos were here, to put it simply they are just unacceptable!!! I will be placing my order for the V-Trac horns and BMS drivers sooner than later, much sooner!!!

Jay

Well I ordered the V-Tracs and BMS drivers today thanks Greg, I just couldn't listen to my original setup after hearing the V-Tracs. Just simply night and day difference, you just have to hear them for yourself. I am so looking forward to these I can't wait.

Jay

Jay,

I've only had about 10 hours on mine, but I can tell you it is the best sounding speaker I have ever heard in my lifetime. The details are simply stjunning, and the soundstage is huge! The other nice thing I like about this combo is I don't have to sit dead center anymore. It sounds just as good a couple feet left or right. I'm not home for another week but I can't wait to fire up the sound system as soon as I walk thru the door.

Mike

Just an observation but there are a LOT of VERY VERY VERY positive things being said about the Vtrac (here and in other threads). Interestingly, I once made some VERY VERY VERY positive remarks on the difference between the Jubilee & Khorn and got grief for some of those comments.

Undoubtedly Greg's upgrades sound great. I think it's wonderful that more people are finally starting to see just how much you CAN improve on the traditional sound!!

Welcome to the club boys!!

[Y] [Y]

Jay,

I've only had about 10 hours on mine, but I can tell you it is the best sounding speaker I have ever heard in my lifetime. The details are simply stjunning, and the soundstage is huge! The other nice thing I like about this combo is I don't have to sit dead center anymore. It sounds just as good a couple feet left or right. I'm not home for another week but I can't wait to fire up the sound system as soon as I walk thru the door.

Mike

Mike,

My friends and I noticed the same exact thing, you do not have to be in the sweet spot with them which is great. I was really impressed with them and the way they did everything to improve the sound. I should have them by the end of next week I hope!!!! Like you I can't wait to turn them on.

Jay

I would like to hear the VTRAC with a Jubilee bottom. Except instead of Greg's current BEYMA/BMS drivers, I would like to hear them with a CD that can do 500 to 20K (ex. Radian 850BP, Selenium D3500Ti) and make the system a 2 way via active XO...

I would like to hear the VTRAC with a Jubilee bottom. Except instead of Greg's current BEYMA/BMS drivers, I would like to hear them with a CD that can do 500 to 20K (ex. Radian 850BP, Selenium D3500Ti) and make the system a 2 way via active XO...

Very soon I'll be testing my V-Trac horns and Beyma tweeters on top of my Jamboree bass bins. I've been waiting to find time to do this. I'll start a thread on it in the Updates section.

If you're looking for two way with active crossover - you're best bet is to just get Jubs.

Greg

No sir...

I've got respect for your opinion... not only are you a Heard... but you had the kahuna's to buy a pair and actually hear for yourself!!!

Besides... I know where your kids go to school, so you wouldn't badmouth me.... [;)]

Greg:

That will be great! Are you stickig to your BMS/BEYMA combo or are you going to experiment with other drivers?

Kwing

For now it's going to be 3-way with the BMS/Beyma. The top end of my Khorns are the best sounding of all the speakers I own, and the Jamboree is the best sounding bass bin, so it just makes sense to try and integrate them. The key will be the crossover.

Someday I'll experiment with a few other drivers I've got kicking around here. What I'm really looking forward to is building a horn for the Beyma CP850ND driver that can cover from 600Hz to 20Khz. But a lot has to happen for that to be a success, or at least how I define success. I will not accept the necessity of EQ to make it sound right. The system must do it naturally and work well with a very simple electronic chain from source to speaker.

Greg