1" 2" compression drivers and horns

seti

It seems Klipsch isn't going to upgrade the Heritage line speakers
mf or hf horns. Whether out of respect for PWK or other reason I'm not
sure. Perhaps PWK even left instructions for the line but that is
speculation. I think the revamped Heritage line looks great and sounds very good. The most improved is the HeresyIII and LaScala II imo.
This however hasn't stopped many forum members from seeking to upgrade
these great speakers. There have been trac horns, vtrac, fastrac, altec
511b, altec multicellular, baby cheeks, round tractrix horns, pro cinema horns and
multiple drivers used to upgrade heritage speakers.

What
compression drivers and horns are you guys using? What are you doing in
regards to xover? active? passive? modified stock crossovers? I'm
curious what you guys are using as I've seen alot of horns drivers
being used lately. What was the most challenging part about getting your system the way you liked it.

Another horn builder told me to look at
the 2" B&C DCX50. It has good range from 400-16K with sensitivity
of 108bwm. It reportedly sounds good but haven't heard one myself . DCX50 PDF click here.

Check out what these lother guys are doing with a La Scala LF and Lowther driver.

obr_studio.jpg

I have LS2 clones made from 3/4 inch ply with braces. Crites cast frame woofers, K55 mids, Crites Ct125 tweeters, Crites A4500 crossovers.
The most challenging part has been to try to get the bass response I'm looking for. Have tried subs but they never really sound the same. At the moment I haver a pair of ALK tractrix horns & Universal crossovers on order & am anxious to hear them. My thoughts are that the Traxtrix should open up the mid range & with the universals I will be able to attenuate the mids to the level I want. Depending on the results here I may go to the extended bass reflex cabinet underneath the LS to extend the bottom end.

Will post results when finished.

post-32839-13819487411962_thumb.jpg

I have LS2 clones made from 3/4 inch ply with braces

Just wondering....woudn't that be more like an original LaScala and not a LaScala II? The II's were 1" MDF (or so I thought) and the tweek for the originals was the brace as you installed (and I'd like to do to mine)

Either way, looks mighty da** fine!!

[Y]

I have LS2 clones made from 3/4 inch ply with braces

Just wondering....woudn't that be more like an original LaScala and not a LaScala II? The II's were 1" MDF (or so I thought) and the tweek for the originals was the brace as you installed (and I'd like to do to mine)

Either way, looks mighty da** fine!!

Yes

I call my clones LS 2's. You're right....the originals were 3/4 ply & then you added the brace to tame the resonance. As far as I'm aware the factory LS2's use 1"" MDF for the sides & the doghouse to achieve the same result. I think they figured the extra thickness of the material to tame the resonance was a better look than the brace. The other reason I call mine LS2's is because I have the split cabs. The photo I posted previously showing the ported bottom is not mine. My cabs are as per my avatar with split bass & top end cabs.

I have LS2 clones made from 3/4 inch ply with braces. Crites cast frame woofers, K55 mids, Crites Ct125 tweeters, Crites A4500 crossovers.
The most challenging part has been to try to get the bass response I'm looking for. Have tried subs but they never really sound the same. At the moment I haver a pair of ALK tractrix horns & Universal crossovers on order & am anxious to hear them. My thoughts are that the Traxtrix should open up the mid range & with the universals I will be able to attenuate the mids to the level I want. Depending on the results here I may go to the extended bass reflex cabinet underneath the LS to extend the bottom end.

Will post results when finished.

I wonder what klipsch engineers think of this mod and what the drawbacks could be. Many have tried it and it doesn't have to be a permanent. I've never seen a curve of this mod either. It looks really interesting.