Foam Surround Repair

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, picked up some Weldbond after work today, and applied it to the problem area. I didn't like how crumbly the surround was getting and I couldn't find any foam backed adhesive anywhere, so I decided to get creative.

I requisitioned some used dryer sheets and coated them with glue, then applied them over the torn surround areas. I thought it was brilliant.... guess we'll find out tommorow.

post-28242-13819487711818_thumb.jpg

Why would you even ask a question like that?

Do you think we would tell you to do something that would ruin your driver?

If you would do a search on the product and read the literature it says:

"Weldbond gives a flexible joint— there's no danger of cracking or breaking. "

"Don't worry about Weldbond dissolving foam plastics or expanded polystyrene. It works well on both products, leaving them intact. "

"A glue joint and leather that's been bonded with Weldbond can be flexed without worry of cracking the adhesive. "

Seal the ruptured pores in the foam surround. The instructions suggest a 5:1 ratio for this (I just thin it out until it seems OK, I would guess about 3:1, the exact ratio is not important). I wait about 1/2 hour and coat the surround again. Usually the third coat sits on top and doesn't soak in, now you're done.

Dries in about 24hrs, wait 72hrs for a full cure.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow! I just had the same exact thing happen to my Velodyne VA 1215X. I stumbled upon this site during the search for how to repair. I will be going out today to pick up some weld bond. Thank you so much for the helpful posts. I'll let you know how things turn out.

Is foam foam?

I've got a pair of Electrovoice Interface D's that I understand use a foam surround. I've been informed that EV no longer carries the foam and won't do repairs on these.

Can I get any foam? Do I need something special?

If there are other materials, could I use them as well? What's so special about this #)$(*) foam that keeps rotting away?

I'll tell ya...that's one thing I really like about my LaScalas. 30 years old and the only tinkering I've done to them is put new Xovers in!! (they lived through the college years as well)

Is foam foam?

I've got a pair of Electrovoice Interface D's that I understand use a foam surround. I've been informed that EV no longer carries the foam and won't do repairs on these.

Can I get any foam? Do I need something special?

If there are other materials, could I use them as well? What's so special about this #)$(*) foam that keeps rotting away?

I'll tell ya...that's one thing I really like about my LaScalas. 30 years old and the only tinkering I've done to them is put new Xovers in!! (they lived through the college years as well)

Here is a good place to look for foam replacement kits

http://www.speakerrepair.com/OCSrekit.html

Earlier foams were done in by ozone and UV. Smoke wasn't very good for them either.

You can thin the Weldbond out quite a lot. Where there are splits, you can use cigarette paper on the back side of the surround. Some of the wrapping tissue will work pretty well. The JBLs I did for a friend of mine have been going for a good five years since I did the repair. From the front of his, you can't tell they have been repaired at all, unless you look very close. He had multiple splits, but no missing pieces. I put multiple, thin layers on the front side and the back side of the surrounds, with the tissue only on the back side.

Replacing the surrounds is a great alternative. You might also spend the money and then ask yourself why you bothered.

Replacing the surrounds is a great alternative. You might also spend the money and then ask yourself why you bothered.

Replacing the surrounds is the ONLY alternative to repeatedly doing quick fixes. Plus if you have taken your time and FOLLOWED the instructions nobody will ever know you had replaced them. I do this on a regular basis for friends, and for sure the first pair you do is stressfull. On no other piece of your Hi-Fi would you put-up with a Band-Aid solution, that also probably does nothing for the aesthetics of your speakers, so do it right the first time, and allow yourself to stand back after and say with pride....Wow! I did that.

I kinda like to think that my fix, for $5 and a slow afternoon was also something to be proud of. I didn't repeatedly do quick fixes, and they've been going strong for five years (at least...). We do band aids all the time on this forum. The aesthetics weren't really an issue since my friend keeps the grills on, and like I said... it is hard to tell they've been touched...

You have nothing to lose by trying it. [*-)]

I think I'll sign off of here for a while, before I turn into a grumpy old man. I'm getting the old part down, I just don't want to be grumpy. It's no wonder Dennis responds the way he does.

I quit... you can get the last word in

I kinda like to think that my fix, for $5 and a slow afternoon was also something to be proud of. I didn't repeatedly do quick fixes, and they've been going strong for five years (at least...). We do band aids all the time on this forum. The aestheticsweren't really an issue since my friend keeps the grills on, and like I said... it is hard to tell they've been touched...

You have nothing to lose by trying it. Confused

I think I'll sign off of here for a while, before I turn into a grumpy old man. I'm getting the old part down, I just don't want to be grumpy.It's no wonder Dennis repsonds the way he does.

I quit... you can get the last word in

??????

Hey guys. I just completed the "band-aide" repair using the WeldBond. It looks great. Now I have to wait the 72hrs to hear it. [|-)]

I get the point about having problems in time so I went ahead and ordered the new surround kit from Orange County Speaker Repair (www.speakerrepair.com) just in case. Cost me $36.90 with shipping to Wisconsin. Ordered code # 11-123-W-MC it says is for a 12" McIntosh but also lists my Velodyne VA 1215X model number taped to the speaker on the inside (Velodyne 71VA12). Now that I have it, hopefully I will never need it. If I don't need it, it was the best insurance payment I've ever made.

Thanks again for the terriffic tips. I'll let you know when it's thumping again.

Cheers!

Many times the exact replacement surround is not available.

What do you do at that point?

Weldbond.

Cloth surrounds do not last forever either, under high power use they eventually fail. HAve you seen cloth replacement surrounds for JBL drivers?

Cost for a re-cone kit for various JBL models (does not include labor)

G135-8 $352

K140-4 $430

K145-16 $282

All K151 $268

K145, K145-4, and many others NO LONGER AVAILABLE

What do you do at that point?

I've had Weldbond extend the service life of many JBL drivers 5+ years.

Would you rather spend $5 for 5 years extra service life, or re-cone for $200+ for ten years service life?

Use your own judgement.

PS

A leading pro sound company (Meyer) used to take new JBL drivers and treat the surrounds. Do they know something that we don't?

Not to labour on a point, and I was certainly not out to up-set anybody, but...I have replaced cloth surrounds with foam surrounds, I have now repaired something like 20 pairs, of differing sizes, flat edge, angled edge, I have a good selection of 6" 8" 10" 12"on hand and can't imagine anyone giving me a speaker that couldn't be repaired. I hit the yard sales and thrift stores looking for speakers that need re-foaming, I actually enjoy doing them and it has turned into a nice little side business.