Computer question

winchester21

My 5 year old Dell DImension desk top now has a blinking yellow light instead of the pretty green one. The bleeping thing does not work. Does this indicate a bad power supply or a motherboard. Is it worth fixing?? Just bought a new Samsung monitor. &^%^$^&!!!!!!. I know NOTHING about computers whatsoever.

Any tips or suggestions appreciated.

Which light is it, there should be a little image next to it, do you hear a hard drive spinning? Do you hear anything?

Have you unpluged and tried to restart, does it make any sounds same or different than before?

I think I'm saying a bit more info is needed..

Call Dell support . If it's junk or will cost more than it's worth to fix do what I plan to do and take advantage of the tax free weekend . My 8 year old Sony Vaio MX is still chugging along but it's sloooow and won't work with my HD video camera . I plan to fix that this weekend .

Itried plugging and un plugging- worked ok the first time for a bout a week- then a day- now - no dice- the yellow light is in the on/off switch- normally it is green- i dont hear anything running- this seems to have been a gradual rather rthan a sudden failure. Sucks

That could be symptoms of either a borard or power supply. If you have any place to bring it into, I know our shop has an ATX power supply tester that takes about 5 seconds to render a diagnosis on the power supply...if you are nice, they may test it for free....just a thought.

The acer is awesome- my dad bought one while his HP was down. Bought a Dell Inspiron 15 for 350.oo plus a 50.00 gift card- tax free weekend here. This is a neat little machine- certainly not top of the line- but fine for whatr I need. Thanks for all of the tips and advice during this irrating expierence. Hope this dell last longer than the last one. My wife has one of the first Dell laptops that was bought back in the 90s for like 5 grand!!!. It is still runing but weighs a ton.