Update - service Heresy ll's

wiilow

Hello folks,

I am new to this forum - ( I did not know of it's existance before now!) and I am hoping that I can obtain advice and information on my Heresy ll speakers. I purchased them in 1988 and they have a serial numbers 8919784 and 8919785.

They have travelled with me to several places around the world and I guess I have been very fortunate that they have not been damaged, (the beautiful walnut finish is still immaculate). The really important thing however, is that they still sound great and I do not want to part with them - so should I, or can I do something with them to keep them working well for another 20 years ;-)

I would appreciate any advice or help,

Thanks

w

They probably sound fine as they are, but if you want to improve their sound, the simplest and most effective way is to install Heresy III upgrade kits. The kits include a new tweeter and horn, a new squawker but no horn (use your present horn), a new woofer and a new and more advanced crossover. It's everything in the cabinet except the mid horn.

The kits cost $290 per speaker and bring them up to the current Heresy III standard. The vocals are improved in clarity, the bass is stronger and goes lower (from the 63Hz lower limit of the H-2 to the 58Hz lower limit of the H-3) and the sensitivity is increased, from the 97dB of the H-2 to the 99dB of the H-3.

Everybody who has bought and installed one of these kits has been pleased with the results, including me. They will fit any Heresy IIs made in 1986 or later with the square connector cups on the back, but not the earlier Heresy II with the round connector cup. In most cases, there's no soldering required, the new parts just plug into each other.

Since new Heresy IIIs cost $1500 a pair, the kit is a really good deal.

Hey, - thanks for the (very) prompt and helpful response.

This is a possibility that I had not considered.The upgrade sounds very significant and I am worried about any change to the overall sound, presentation and frequency response. I really like the sound that they have now and I would have to consider that even an upgrade might change my subjective perception, to one that I might not be so pleased with.

Maybe I should try and hear a demo of the lll's, that would give me an idea of the sound differences. The update of the crossovers would no doubt usefully upgrade/refresh the electrics however.

Thx

w

w, do a search for Heresy III kit and you'll see what others have to say about it. I did my centre speaker first, in order to see if it was worth it before spending the money to convert all four Heresy IIs in my system. I was impressed from the first minute, but held off for a while due to a tight budget. Last week I ordered a second H-3 kit for my rear centre speaker, and in a few months I'll do the surround Heresy IIs as well.

The La Scalas sound better than the Heresy IIs, as they should, since they're much larger and more expensive, but installing the Heresy III kit narrowed the gap noticeably, so my system is better matched than it was. I'm looking forward to having four Heresy IIIs to keep my JubScalas company.

You can compare the specs here:

Heresy III: http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/heresy-iii-overview/

Heresy III: http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/heresy-iii-specifications/

Heresy II: http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/heresy-ii-overview/

Heresy II: http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/heresy-ii-specifications/

OK Islander, I am looking, checking and ....... comparing - fine, but who is selling this kit? Can't find any reference to it on the klipsch 'site. I am also noting many negative responses to Heresy's, maybe I should also listen to the the Cornwall's ?

w

You can order the Heresy III upgrade kit directly from Klipsch Parts. I think they're at 1-800-554-7724. The part number is 1006972.

The Cornwalls are much bigger speakers with a bigger sound. If you've got the room and the money, you might well prefer them to the Heresies. You could even try to hear a pair of La Scalas. Heritage Series, it's all good.

Hi, Peter.

You're right, Klipsch US directed me to the Canadian Klipsch distributor, Micron Electronics in Mississauga, at 905-828-1662. Their website's at http://www.microncanada.ca/

They seem less organized and cooperative than Klipsch in the US, but they will get you the parts. The H-3 kit that's $290USD in America is $310CAD from Micron, which seems like a good deal to me. They'll probably ask you for the serial number of your Heresy II, so they'll know you're not building your own clone.

I just got off the phone with Micron and the H-3 kit I ordered two weeks ago from them has not yet arrived from Klipsch (maybe they waited to order a batch of items and not just one), but I should get it in another week or two.

With tax and shipping to me here on the Island, the total cost of the kit I ordered last December was almost exactly $350CAD, so it should be a little less to get it to beautiful Rimouski. I wonder if it would travel by Manac truck? I saw one of those Manac truck mudflaps with the winged moose on it here yesterday and it reminded me of driving Highway 20 between Quebec and Montreal.

Willow,

Welcome to the forum! What part of the country are you from? We can most likely find someone close who would invite you over for a listen. (Notice how I volunteer others...?) I have LaScalas and Heresy IIs. They are both great speakers!

Bruce

Hi Bruce and thanks,

I am on the Gulf Coast of Florida - Sarasota County, a great place to live but unfortunately, - I swear, nearly everybody in this part of the world uses a Hearing Aid ;-)

I have some friends who have Cornwall's that I want to hear but, unfortunately they travel a great deal and I don't expect to see them for a few months. I would also like to hear the LaScalas, so if you do know of any cooperative and like minded 'souls' that would be a good opportunity.

(Yes I agree, my Heresy's are also speakers that I will NOT part with.)

John

Even better than you'd think, Peter. I priced Heresy IIIs last week in BC and they're $1190 each, or $2380CAD a pair!

The big speakers are pretty pricey, too, at $4400 each for La Scala IIs and $5900 each for 2009 Klipschorns, plus tax. There might be some discounting possible, but those are the suggested retail prices. No deflation here...

Unlike your Heresy III kit, mine did come with the weatherstrip to seal between the new crossover and the cabinet and did come with the squawker mounting screws. The new crossover does sit up a little from the cabinet. My 1989 Heresy II had a large sheet of foam inside it which I left in.

The kit had no K-701 horn, which didn't matter, since I could re-use the existing horn.

If you can find the K-701 horn, you can take the old guts from your HIIs and build Tangent 400 cabinets for them. A rather easy cabinet build, and will give you a much nicer second set of speakers. The Tangent 400 used the exact parts from the HII.

I know there is someone in Florida with LaScalas...

You could come and hear mine, but I'm at the top end of Georgia, almost to Tennessee.

Bruce