new receiver, currently using sony receiver

twisted1272

i am at work so do have exact number for sony receiver right now. Currently have klipsch rf-35 complete set (excluding sub) tower, rear surround, center channel. Anyway I purchased a samsung 50" led tv and want to purchase a new receiver with hdmi to convert signals to 1080p hdmi. Want to spend around $1500, i guess that would be a good starting pointing, would pay more but if that is an over kill please let me know. I do not want a receiver where you have to be a rocket scientist to use. One that is the most friendly automatic setup if possible. Also have another question while i have your attention, why are some movies have the sound really low when voices are going but then a door can close in movie or just background sounds dround out voices. Thank you for any advice you can give me.

From my experience, Onkyo/Integra GUI are very user friendly. For $1500.00, you can get alot of receiver. Here are a few options:

http://www.6ave.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=MARSR8002-OPN

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/MARSR8002/Marantz/SR8002-receiver-THX-125w-x-7ch-HDMI-home-theater-surround/1.html

The Marantz doesn't have as many bells and whistles but makes up for it in superior sound quality.

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/details/538397989/yamaha-rxz7

Yamaha has really nice amp sections and many bells and whistles. Maybe Youthman will chime in about Yamaha's GUI.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/MARSR8002/Marantz/SR8002-receiver-THX-125w-x-7ch-HDMI-home-theater-surround/1.html

Onkyo has the most for the least and the HQV Reon-VX processor for upconverting to 1080P. This is a killer price.

I would buy this one if it would fit in my cabinet(18 1/16 in deep).

Bill

• Moderators

Yamaha has really nice amp sections and many bells and whistles. Maybe Youthman will chime in about Yamaha's GUI.

My thought is that if you have $1500 to spend on a receiver, have you considered using separates? When you spend that much on a receiver, when the new audio formats come out or they switch to a new HD connector you will want to replace your receiver and only get a few hundred for it used in a few years. If you go with separates, the amp will always be good, you just replace the pre/pro. If I had $1500, I would consider this:

Emotiva UMC-1 for $699

Emotiva XPA-5 for $799 or the Emotiva UPA-7 if you need a 7.1 system.

My current Yamaha RX-V1800 is the best receiver I have owned so far, but also is the most expensive. It was $1300 new but I picked it up on Craigslist for $400. It has 140 x 7 and puts out plenty of clean power to drive my speakers. I will eventually purchase the Emotiva XPA-3 and use the Yamaha to power just the surround speakers. The GUI is pretty easy to use. I like it a lot. If you can find a great used receiver, you will save yourself quite a bit and can use that towards other audio gear. I try not to buy electronics new because they drop in value like a rock and technology is constantly changing. Just my 2 cents.

Youthman has a good point about separates.

If you are looking to stick with an all-in-one. I really like the Onkyo 876 I just purchased. It has plenty of power for my system, and easy to use calibration process, and the Reon chip for video duty. FWIW, my system is simliar to your's with RF-35s and RS-35s (however, I have an RC-64 for the center and a couple of old KG 3.5s for the rear). So far, the Onkyo is more than up to the task of driving the system.

New, they can be found around 999-1200.

It was the easiest to setup, then my yamaha, and then my Marantz. Once I wrestled the Marantz into submission, it does, however, drive my family room system very well.

• Moderators

Is the Emotiva UMC-1 available? Seems like it's announced but I don't see it in their online store.

UMC-1 AUDIO-VIDEO PROCESSOR

Currently in production. $699

Supposably they are getting close but they've been saying that for quite awhile.

My first good receiver that I bought almost 20 years ago was a Sony, one of their best at the time an ES model cost was around $1,000. I replaced it with an Onkyo 777 model somewhere in the late 90's still around a $1,000 model I believe, but the Onkyo was a huge upgrade from the Sony. A few years later I replaced the Onkyo 777 with an Onkyo 900 which was $1,600. I still have the Onkyo 900 and have it now paired with an Emotiva XPA-3 amp, the sound is excellent so good I really have no urge to upgrade. When I do eventually upgrade I will probably continue in the separates direction probably with another Emotiva amp but I am not sure what I'd buy for a pre-amp I'd need to shop around possibly an Emotiva or maybe even an Onkyo pre-amp.