Cartridge help

colterphoto1

I came to an awful realization last week. I have a nice MMF5 turntable with Goldring cart in my gallery (2 channel) room, but don't want to use that setup to sort through my garage sale collections of LP's. So i've been doing that on more readily accessible hearth room with Technics SL1700 semi-auto direct drive turntable. HORRORS, I've been using my 'high-school era' Stanton 681EEE which I just had the thought, might be damaging any good vinyl I find.

Therefore I am in search for a correct new cartridge that might mate with this table. I used the Stantons back in the day bedcause I liked their short cantilever. It worked well for backtracking when I recorded mix cassettes. That is not an issue now. So a longer cantilever is acceptable. Something not too spendy, maybe Grado Green or similar? I understand just a bit about this whole compliance/mass issue and this room is over a basement with some floor bounce. The Technics has pretty good suspension and is on a very heavy rack next to a corner so it's a bit resistant to floor shock.

Any help from the cart experts out there? Gary?

Michael

Michael,

Depending on how much listening you do on the Technics here's my choices.

If you're considering the Grado Green, I'd through in another 20 or so bucks and go for a Shure M97xE. It's a great cartridge for the money and the sweetness only improves after about 50 hours. My other choice is more in line with what you're replacing, a Stanton 681EEE MKIII. It's about twice the price of the Shure and on a scale of diminishing return, the Shure will give you the most bang for the buck. ALTHOUGH, if another 75 or 80 dollars isn't a problem, I REALLY like the sound of the Stanton. But I also REALLY like the way the Shure sounds too.

I'm not a cartridge expert by any means, but I have owned the Shure and listened to the Stanton for quite a few hours(both have a very sweet sound).

Anyway, just my 2 cents worth.

Randall

I'm really liking the M97xE, too. It's on my Technics SL-1400MK2. Smooth and detailed sound (to my ears, at least), low surface noise, very pleasant to listen to. And it says right on the package, "Very low record wear".

dtel, Shure does make both microphones and cartridges, plus headphones and earphones: http://www.shure.com/index.htm

The M97xE's mass is 6.6 grams and its resonant frequency is 8-10Hz. I didn't see the compliance listed anywhere, but according to a review From TNT - Belgium:

Shures traditionally used to have a very high compliance, favouring tracking, but not so the M97xe which is in line with 21sth-century MM practice. With the front damping device disabled the resonant peak in my modifed RB-300 arm was at 10Hz and pretty peaky. This would preclude the use of this cartridge in the heavier arms of older turntables, as is the case with most other MMs too, but lo!, click down the damper and the peak is totally flattened, indicating more stable tracing as well. This then makes the M97xe nearly-universal in its arm compatibility. The damper brush may look ugly, but effective it is!