Golden Lion KT77 reissue

bliss53

Haven't tried the Gold Lion KT-77s but after talking with Doug at Doug's Tubes I bought JJ KT-77s to replace the Svetlana EL-34 tubes in my Quicksilver horn monos. A little more forward and a slight increased slam in the bass. Not as laid back or mellow as the EL-34s. Having said that I have moved on to EH 6550 which are quiet nice. Tube rolling is very subjective and I have no expertise other than knowing what I like. I prefer the EL-84 tube sound in my vintage HK A500 to any of the large tubes I have heard in other amps.

Before I switched to the Paramounts as my main amp I was using a Dynaco and was thinking about getting a quad. I don't have any personal experience other than to say I read all of the posts on these I saw on Audioasylum. There was not one negative review that I remember. Everyone wo bought a set said they were the best output tubes of all new production and most thought they rivaled, if not surpassed, NOS.

I've had the real deal Goldlions in KT88 form, and wastn't impressed. They sounded good, but not $1500 good. Winged C's are great tubes, really great tubes, but my fav's by far are the old Tung Sol black plate triple getters.