What tube preamp kit would you recommend?

Dylanl

I owned one for 1 1/2 years and was a great tube preamp!![Y]

I used it with a pair of Wellborne Labs 2A3 Moondogs 3.5 watt SET amp and with the 100 watt amp section on a Luxman int amp with great results.

I did not build this preamp but Erik Mandaville has built them along with amps from Transcendent Sound.

Guest David H

I have built several, and am currently using the Tubes 4 HiFi SP-6, because of its on board tube phono section.

www.tubes4hifi.com Build thread link http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/114302.aspx?PageIndex=1

Another preamp I have read alot about is the Akido available from Glass-ware.

http://glass-ware.stores.yahoo.net/newhardware.html

I had a Bottle Head II, it was a great preamp as well.

I'm happy with mine. I have it with a McIntosh MC250 feeding some reference Klipsch speakers. Sounds great. No noise at all either.

I have tried it in front of an active crossover and that is a no go. Complete loss of bass and some loss of detail.

It is definately worth the money.

jc

I'm happy with mine. I have it with a McIntosh MC250 feeding some reference Klipsch speakers. Sounds great. No noise at all either.

I have tried it in front of an active crossover and that is a no go. Complete loss of bass and some loss of detail.

jc

This is interesting JC. Why do supose the bass and detail loss occur when you put a tube preamp in front of the active crossover??

jc

What kit do you have?

Level and impedance mismatches

yes...agreed. i thiink that is the problem.

GG kit with auricap upgrades and extra main outs. This is not that old but I bought it from Ed Schilling of the HornShoppe. He is a builder of Transcendent.

jc

Guest David H

Its more than just a project, The Transcended GG, Glass-wares Akido, VTA-SP6 and the Bottlehead, kits are also newer and upgraded designs. The hobby part simply gives you the satisfaction of building it yourself.

IMO it is well worth it and self satisfying to build yourself.

GG kit with auricap upgrades and extra main outs. This is not that old but I bought it from Ed Schilling of the HornShoppe. He is a builder of Transcendent.

jc

Ok I just ordered one. I was going to buy a Emotive preamp from Joe Sporter but just could not swing multiple purchases and this fits my budget. I will post pics of the build.

I have to agree it is an entire project that is very involving and very enjoyable. Plus it is a great value propositiong and it allows you to interchange parts with boutique parts and experiement. A good used preamp that you then upgrade, I don't know, but it might be more expensive due to the base price of the used pre versus a scratch build. I would be interested to see a comparison. Lastly, for those of us that can solder and follow directions but are still learning to read a schematic, unless you buy a used pre like a Dynaco Pas-3 with a dedicated following and after market upgrades with directions, actually improving the old pre beyond just replacing parts can be difficult.

jc

Ok I just ordered one. I was going to buy a Emotive preamp from Joe Sporter but just could not swing multiple purchases and this fits my budget. I will post pics of the build.

Oh man, this is gonna be great. Can't wait to see photos of this.

jc

jc

Thanks guys.

This is a good reason to go passive... imo