Question - Unequal output between La Scalas

Sky Hits

Knights of the Court of Klipsch (Court of the Klipschon King?),

It has been a while since my last post, summer has been fast-paced and wonderful. A special hello again to Kwing and JamesV who I had the opportunity to meet in person this summer.

I have some trouble-shooting to do and I'm hoping for help. I'm definitely noticing more output out of my right channel La Scala over my left channel. In fact, depending on the record, friends who have been over with less experienced ears that mine have noticed it as well. The right channel often (almost always?) seems stronger. Maybe 3db, just by ear. I have a Bang&O tester record that I use to test the speakers. In the balance test, the difference seems to be obviously in the midrange frequencies. In fact, there are some pronounced higher notes in the right speaker, whereas the left test tone sounds duller.

I have been playing with placement this afternoon with satisfying results. The right speaker is just about straight on from the wall. The left speaker (the weaker one) is toed in, just under 30 degrees. This brings the balance test the closest I can get it, not bad, also I have a pretty great stereo image in this scenario. So, good enough for now, but I'm wondering, is it time to think about replacing the diaphragms of my K-55-Vs?

As a note, these are 1977 La Scalas. I have refreshed the AA crossovers with Bob Crites' cap kit, I have also replaced the tweeter diaphragms.

Thanks and all the best in sound and life,

Seth

Hey Seth, Have you reversed the wires coming from the TT? Just to eliminate the chance of it being TT related. Also, have you swapped the speaker wires at the back of the amp?

By eliminating everything else in the chain, it may come down to being a driver problem.

Dennie

Hi Dennie, thanks for replying. I did switch the TT outputs. Didn't try reversing the speaker wires at the amp but will try that too.

Yeah Seth, I think it would be worth a try, just to nail down where the problem actually is. Keep us posted. Do you have a SPL meter? May be helpful.

Dennie

Dennie already covered the 1st two things I would try. If nothing changes you and you have narrowed it down to the speakers, I would try swapping crossovers side for side and see if the problem follows the crossover. I would be suprised if it is the midrange driver itself. The diaphragm should either be good or bad. I don't think there is any in between. I have never seen a degradation in sound from a diaphragm. If the problem stays in the speaker when switching the TT or amp, then my guess is a cap in the crossover has failed or drifted out of spec and you are hearing the added frequency being sent to one of the drivers. Trouble shooting is fun! Good luck!

Jeremy

An imbalance can drive you nuts. I seem to always hear the left channel as louder, regardless of the system. Is it my hearing? When I play a receiver's internal test tones, as for HT speaker setup, the left and right channels sound equal, so that doesn't support a hearing explanation. It is just music that sounds left biased. When I switch cords, connectors, speakers, the left is still louder. Go figure. I hate using the balance knob, or the individual channel adjustment in my Oppo player, but it just sounds a bit better when I do. Does anyone else notice that more high freq material, like cymbals, seem to be located left, rather than right? Could that reflect a studio engineering convention of sorts, as to where certain instruments "should" be located?

I hate using the balance knob, or the individual channel adjustment in my Oppo player, but it just sounds a bit better when I do. Does anyone else notice that more high freq material, like cymbals, seem to be located left, rather than right? Could that reflect a studio engineering convention of sorts, as to where certain instruments "should" be located?

We tend to think it's best to have the tone and balance controls at Flat, but they're there for a reason. I have a side wall near my left main speaker and no wall beside the right, so I had to add 0.5dB to the right speaker to even things up.

As for conventions in performer positions, the drummer is usually in the centre back. Could it be that many drummers locate most of their cymbals to be played with their right hand (left side for a listener)? I also find that back-up singers are often standing on the left, half-way between the centre stage and the left speaker.

Also, hearing can be a factor. Sometimes wax can build up faster in one ear than the other, causing an imbalance, or maybe one ear is just more sensitive than the other. The system is there to serve you, so set whatever sounds right to you.

Hi all, just checking in with my progress. Switching the speaker wire at the amp turned out to be revelatory: The output difference is definitely not the fault of the speakers. The slight difference in frequencies, however, may be. It's hard to say so far.

Since I am using a tube integrated amp with six tubes, I wonder if I am noticing the beginning degradation of the tubes. I suppose it might be worth finding someone with a tube tester to check this possibility.

In spite of now feeling like I have more questions that answers, I am happy to report that playing a little with the placement of the speakers has been really great. Both are now toed in again, the left channel just more dramatically than the right. I'm getting great separation and a beautiful center image. So, problem solved!?!?!

Thanks again for all the input,

Seth

PS I realize now that Dennie meant possibly that my electronics have spl meters (they don't.) I assumed Dennie meant a db reader which would probably also be helpful in this scenario. Also, my amp doesn't have a balance control, so all of my attenuating has been by moving those La Scalas!

Hey Seth,

Good to hear you are getting it where you want it. I like your thinking.....no balance knob? Adjust the speakers! A perfect example of why we call this a hobby.

I did mean a hand held SPL meter. They can remain accurate when our ears are telling us something's off. I pull my Radio Shack SPL Meter out every now and then, just to see if my ears are telling me the truth. (also to calibrate the HT)

Good thinking about checking the tubes. I don't have any tube gear, so I have no knowledge about such things. But it sounds logical.

My La Scala's are toed in also and the left one, slightly more than the right. I also have the left speaker gain 7db's higher than the right, as I sit on the right side of the room. It gives me great stereo imaging/separation and a large sound-stage.

Be careful moving those beasts around, the older I get the heavier they get!!! [:^)]

Dennie