Improvements for my Khorn system

RickFL

I recently had the good fortune of finding the Klipsch speakers i remember from my college days in the 70's, heard and lusted for. I was finally able to afford a pair and had the space for them. i first found a pair of Cornwalls from the late 70's advertised in the local paper(south florida) a few years back, i loved them especially after changing out the caps(thanks Bob Crites)then stumbled across a mint pair of Khorns in walnut recently from the 80's for $200. for the pair. it was a distress sale at a house being being closed up that evening when i showed up with my friend and his truck. i was told this pair was installed by an authorized dealer back in the 80's and had never been moved before(its condition and the dust behind it proved it). i had the usual wife trouble when i showed up with them but after replacing the Cornwalls with them she settled down and they grew on her. unfortunately they have AK-2 crossovers which are supposed to be substandard. i have replaced the caps in the upper cabinet and nothing more and love the sound. i ask your advise on what next to improve my system. shoud i do more changes to the crossover?, get better amplification?, etc. i would like to hear your advise. thank you.

Incredible deal! That's my favorite finish, too. As for upgrades, I'd just listen for awhile.

If you've got the corners, the Klipschorn fits in a room much easier than Cornwalls since they go all the way into the corners and your wife can put things in front of the bass bins without causing any problems.

unfortunately they have AK-2 crossovers which are supposed to be substandard. i have replaced the caps in the upper cabinet and nothing more and love the sound.

If the speakers sound good to you, they are good. No need to worry about other folks' opinions about your crossovers. You're probably best to listen to your speakers for a few months without any further changes, so you can get really familiar with their sound. That way, if and when you make any other changes to your system, you'll find it easy to tell whether they're improvements or just changes.

BTW, that's one incredible deal you got!

AK-2 networks are not substandard.

All of the caps might need replacement due to age and lack of use.

You will likely benefit from adding rope caulk or Dynamat to the squawker horn. The composite K-401 benefits less, to none, from adding damping material. If your tweeters are not flush mounted, get Z-brackets from Klipsch or maybe Bob Crites and push the tweeters forward.

Add seals to all of the places where the bass horn touches the wall to make sure it seals well.

Treat your room to absorb and/or diffuse reflections. This can be as simple as VERY heavy curtains and/or Persian rugs on a wall.