klipsch THX subs vs SVS PB 13 Ultra

RockOn4Klipsch

I was wondering what some of you thought about the klipsch THX Ultra 2 setup vs a single SVS Pb13 U.

I'm sure the PB13 has the edge in low frequency extension but how do they compare overall? Better or equal SQ? How do the KW-120's do with music?

I have a PB13 U so i know how it performs, should I be satisfied or would the THX setup be an upgrade?

I listen probably 50 /50 music HT with a possible slight edge towards music.

• 3 weeks later...

Two Klipsch THX subs will ougun a single SVS Ultra13 over most of the frequency range and over the audible.SQ both supply A1 quality,you have to try it and listen,compare A/B to decide if it is worth the expense.

Compared price to price you get two Ultra13's,you best the dual THX. Simply more output where it counts,down deep.Simply higher displacement SVS VS Klipsch.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I recommend that you look at a performance standard, rather than split hairs to what is better. Speaking of standards..

What are THX standards? ( They are a industry secret )

-but 20Hz performance at an unspec'd SPL, 115dB at 1 M at and unspec'd freq, and conforming to a THX Low Freq crossover slope should sketch a picture of a high performing sub.

Does the SVS PB13 Ultra meet THX standards?

I think a pair would meet or exceed the standard, just as the Klipsch Subwoofers have proven. Google the many charts, reviews, feedback on these subs through-out the interweb for reference.

Dolby has a standard, and so does AES for playback in a recording evironment, they both point to ITU-R BS.775-1.

in my words: The playback level of the LFE recording track is +10dB than the rest. Playback for all channels except the LFE level is dictated to be 85dB at the listening position. There is 20dB of "range" according to the recording standards. LFE is spec'd to be 120Hz and below. Therefore, you must be able to hit 115db in from 120Hz on down at your listening position.

Do these subwoofers meet this requirement? I would conclude that they don't. specifically at the low (20Hz) end. That is why you must search for the home playback standards instead of the recording standards.

*I will caveat that multiple, 8 or more should do the trick. **Moreover, two JBL 4645C, (I'm on a pro cinema sub kick) would certainly reach that in 8000 cu ft or less.

So I didn't say which one is better, and I threw a bunch of nerdy audio references and knowledge out.

Still you can purchase both and test them in your house, and see which one you like, then return what you don't keep. or keep them both :-)

_Bill

Just remeber the THX subs are a system with that KA 1000 amp too. Together it is awesome.

THX is a standard, not a sound format too. I use these subs with La Scalas. I am SURE they exceed any THX standard, but the La Scala's are not "THX Ultra 2 certified."

What am I getting at?

What works best for you, in your room, in your situation is what counts. I am still in awe of my own room.

Good luck!

Indy, don't slight your set-up!!

I wonder if you figured out the directivity, high frequency characterics, flatness in "a" critcal bass band, and output standards of the THX spec for loudspeakers the LaScala would make it? It's all depends on resources, marketing strategy, and need for THX certified Heritage series. Moreover, Klipsch is very carefull how the modify and pay homage with the Heritage series.

I think they should take the RF-7 and make in to a large format monitor- JBL just left the market and there is a huge hole for Large format monitors.

4430-35_small.jpg