Speakers are next.

jjc

Well I just purchased a new Rotel Home Theater receiver to handle the electronics and a Panasonic 50" flat panel TV and a Panasonic Bluray, now for the speakers. I`m looking to put some Klipsch speakers together. First I`m looking for 5 speakers and am hoping to put together some good sound with bookshelves, will I be able to do this with Klipsch or will I need to have floor speakers for the fronts?

I`ve been reading some of the threads and some here feel that the Heresy`s and the Forte`s are good floor speakers, do any of the new Klipsch`s perform as well for dollars spent, something like the RF-7 for instance. Any help will be appreciated. Strange as it seem I`m finding some problems finding dealers in the Chicago ares to listen to. I never thought that would be a problem in a city this big but it has, Best Buy has a very few models to demo so again what is you`re recommendations. Thanks Jim

If you haven't used the dealer locator on this site yet give it a try.

There's going to be a different sound between the 3-way speakers of yesterday and the 2-way speakers of today. One isn't necessarily better than the other, just different. I personally love the 3-way sound of my Forte IIs and actually replaced a pair of RF-7s with them.

If you don't mind going pre-owned and don't want gigantic speakers, a HT built around Heresys, Fortes or Quartets would be excellent.

If you want something that's new, this page will show you recommended matched sets:

http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/home-theater-system/default.aspx?viewall=true

Well I just purchased a new Rotel Home Theater receiver to handle the electronics and a Panasonic 50" flat panel TV and a Panasonic Bluray, now for the speakers. I`m looking to put some Klipsch speakers together. First I`m looking for 5 speakers and am hoping to put together some good sound with bookshelves, will I be able to do this with Klipsch or will I need to have floor speakers for the fronts?

I`ve been reading some of the threads and some here feel that the Heresy`s and the Forte`s are good floor speakers, do any of the new Klipsch`s perform as well for dollars spent, something like the RF-7 for instance. Any help will be appreciated. Strange as it seem I`m finding some problems finding dealers in the Chicago ares to listen to. I never thought that would be a problem in a city this big but it has, Best Buy has a very few models to demo so again what is you`re recommendations. Thanks Jim

jjc,

Either way, you are talking used speakers, so let's break it down in my opinion.

The tower speaker RF-7s are definately pretty in Cherry, so do you prefer Cherry or Oiled Oak as in the Qartet, Forte', Chorus line-up. The RF-7s will play louder then all but the Chorus, and then they are pretty equal. The RF-7s have a smaller footprint and are not as critical in placement as The Quartet, Forte' II, and Chorus II wich have rear passive radiators that really need propper corner placement. BUT.......

The older Quartet, Forte' II, and Chorus II are all older, thus cheaper and a better buy. I feel they are built better, and most importantly to me, the Forte' II and Quartet are definately more articulate and bring out the little things you otherwise wouldn't pick up on better then Reference series, given that both series are in perfect working order, driven with great source material, and an excellent amp.

I am very familiar with both, and that is my honest opinion. I know what I would pick, but you need to descide from those descriptions, what the propper choice for your personal needs is.

Roger

Thanks for the quick reply, you reinforce what I`ve read regarding Heresys and Fortes. Would you consider the low, mid, or upper frequencys in either

speaker to be thier strong point, do they have any weak points in reproduction? Thanks Jim

Hello Roger I have read many of your posts and enjoyed them, you have knowledge I wish I had. For many reasons Klipsch has interested me for some time, I happen to have a very complete wood working shop in the basement and have a hobby of cabinet building so in researching the Klipschs I ran into many references to building their own cabinets which interested me but of coarse sound is the end result. There seems to be a "almost cult feeling" surrounding the ownership of Klipsch speakers, I like that. I have read articles relating to the upgrades some are making, I`ve never read that about other speakers so there must be something to it.

Anyway I do like your explanation of the Fortes, Quartet and Chorus II`s being more articulate, I like that. What do you think the chances are in finding these speakers in good shape?

Oh, "I would be interested" in what you would pick. Thanks Jim

Thanks for the quick reply, you reinforce what I`ve read regarding Heresys and Fortes. Would you consider the low, mid, or upper frequencys in either speaker to be thier strong point, do they have any weak points in reproduction? Thanks Jim

The sweeeeeet midrange of the Fortes is what drew me in. They do have amazing bass also. Come to think of it, their treble is nicely detailed too. Can you tell I like them?

Anyway I do like your explanation of the Fortes, Quartet and Chorus II`s being more articulate, I like that. What do you think the chances are in finding these speakers in good shape?

Here's a start:

http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/ele/1366019272.html

Possible surrounds:

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/ele/1374044591.html

That's pretty much my exact setup other than I have Forte II fronts. Difference between original Forte and Forte II is the Forte II has a larger rear passive radiator (15" vs. 12") and the Forte II has a tractrix midrange horn.

Hi wuzzzer, Thanks for the reply. I can see why you like the Forte II`s. Can they be placed against the wall with the radiators. I will not be able to place in a corner, the wall is 22 feet long. Would a separation of say 8 feet work, I know it depends on the room but am I far off? Jim

Hi oldtimer, Well thats good to hear they wont be like finding a needle in a haystack.

I`m going to have to get busy and start looking. My sub gets the job done so I`m not

worried on the low end, just so it isn`t anemic, which I don`t think is the case with the

Foetes. Thanks Jim

Fortes like to have a little breathing room behind them. The general rule of thumb is to place a speaker approximately the same distance as the diameter of any ports or passive radiators. 12" for the Forte I and 15" for the Forte II. Actually the farther away from side walls the better to eliminate early reflections. I have an extremely narrow basement and my Fortes are butted up right next to my TV, they're 5 feet apart from their inside edge and 18" from the side walls.

I forgot to ask, Do you have a opinion on the $500 asking price for the origional Fortes in the craigs list,

although I do think the Forte II`s may end up the better choice, to search for. Jim

That's not way out of the ballpark but if you showed up with $350-400 the seller would probably take it. I purchased my Forte IIs through craigslist for $275 about 3 years ago and they are in 9/10 condition. Its not unusual to find Forte IIs in good condition for $200-300 but you have to act fast when you find them.

wuzzzer

The more I learn about the Fortes the more I like, placement looks to be a fit for me also. It`s time

for me to get out and see whats available. Thanks for all the time you spent helping and the good advice.

I`ll post how things are going and probably have more questions Thanks Jim