Where to buy tubes

greg928gts

Greg,

If you looking for the Shugang 2A3C that we discussed.

Here is a link

If you want some RCA Blackplates or other driver tubes, I'd go through E-bay. Tubes are exceptionally robust and I have quite a few pairs of tubes made in the 1920's thru 1950's and they play beautifully.

I've also had good luck with Sophia Electric tubes. Heres a pair

I've bought a Lot of tubes on E-bay and have been very satisfied. You will run into the occasional Jerk, but over 98% of my transactions I have been very happy with. Also I am never afraid to buy more tubes than I need. The prices of Old Stock Tubes continues to climb and MY stash of tubes has done far better than my portfolio of Stocks.

The prices of Old Stock Tubes continues to climb and MY stash of tubes has done far better than my portfolio of Stocks.

Just the reverse of going down the tubes, eh?

I want to get another pair of GZ37 for my Moondogs, but haven't found what I like yet.

Bruce

Thanks everyone.

I'm skeptical about low priced 2A3's. I don't want to compromise, I'm willing to pay for very good sounding tubes.

What about JJ?

I had AVVT's and I really liked them. I also had KR's and I liked those too, although one developed a short way before it should have.

I had Sovtek's and I didn't like those as much.

So where is a good place to buy these tubes? Tube Depot?

Is it important for the tubes to be tested and matched, and if so, which seller does a good job with this?

Greg

Thanks everyone.

I'm skeptical about low priced 2A3's. I don't want to compromise, I'm willing to pay for very good sounding tubes.

What about JJ?

I had AVVT's and I really liked them. I also had KR's and I liked those too, although one developed a short way before it should have.

Is it important for the tubes to be tested and matched, and if so, which seller does a good job with this?

Greg

Hi Greg,

Yes it is important for your output tubes to be matched as close as possible!!! If you are going to get any matched tubes the output ones are in my opinion are the most important for proper sound.

Jay

I also had KR's and I liked those too, although one developed a short way before it should have.

I bought a pair of new and matched KR 2A3 tubes a few years ago. I never used them. While one still measure as new the other is measuring way lower now.

Don't you need only one tube in each amp? I thought matching is important if you have a PP amp, like my SETH 2A3.

Kudret

• Like 1

Greg,

Shuguang 2A3C is my favorite. superTNT has them for $80/pair + about $50 shipping.

I hear that Emission Labs 2A3 mesh plate is one of the best, but
at that price it better be.

Kudret

Kudret,

I looked at their website and was not sure that these were Shuguang Tubes. They had a lot of tubes on their site, but none of them seemed to have a brand. Just a number.

BTW - You never told me what you ended up doing with the Moondogs. Do you still have them and like them. Which amps do you prefer?

Thanks everyone.

What about JJ?

Greg

I don't think you can go wrong with the 2A3C Shugaung tubes or Sophia Electric. I always keep a cheaper backup pair. If you want Old Stock, it is hard to beat the RCA Blackplates. Don't worry about matching. A highly over-rated topic.

Kudret,

I looked at their website and was not sure that these were Shuguang Tubes. They had a lot of tubes on their site, but none of them seemed to have a brand. Just a number.

BTW - You never told me what you ended up doing with the Moondogs. Do you still have them and like them. Which amps do you prefer?

Kevin, 2A3C tubes shown on their website are made by Shuguang. I've been using them for last coupe of years and like them very much.

I would love to try Emission Labs 2A3 mesh plate. One day...

Yes, I still have the Moondogs. They are very special, as you know. They are just a different flavor. SETH has fuller sound and I find them more musical. Moondogs seem to have a bit more detail and tighter bass. I use SETH for powering the top sections of Jubilees.

Kudret

• Like 1

Kudret,

Kevin, 2A3C tubes shown on their website are made by Shuguang. I've been using them for last coupe of years and like them very much.

I would love to try Emission Labs 2A3 mesh plate. One day...

Yes, I still have the Moondogs. They are very special, as you know. They are just a different flavor. SETH has fuller sound and I find them more musical. Moondogs seem to have a bit more detail and tighter bass. I use SETH for powering the top sections of Jubilees.

Kudret

Yes, I agree on the 2A3C Shuguang Tubes. I bought a pair years ago when they first came out and am still using them.

As I remember you had re-finished the Moondogs to a very attractive finish. If you have a picture of the completed amps, I'd like to see them. I also have a pair of Moondogs that I will probably keep forever. I also recently acquired a pair of Welborne Laurels - 300b monoblocks that I like as well.

I've been using the EH 2A3 Golds in my Moondogs, and have been quite happy with them, although I see they are running around $130 a pair. I'm currently running my LS on SS. A little sterile sounding, but tons of detail. Tight bass. I think I like the Moondogs a lot more... they are really special.

Bruce