Sig Sauer P6 Debate

Professor Thump

Well as some of you know I have funny money burning a hole in my pocket. A rare thing these days. I actually went to a gun show this weekend and didn't buy anything... Can you believe it? Well okay I bought a Buck knife that had been confiscated from some poor bastard by the ATF for $13. I even picked up a used Kimber Target that was priced at $850. (Now I am starting to feel like an idiot because I may never see that deal again. It was even a partial nickel!!) So anyhow, my wife was giving me the 20 questions of "What did you buy" because she wasn't believing that I got just a knife. She did mention that I already had a knife. I just looked at her like don't you know me by now?

Some may get this odd rambling of my mind but I am getting to the topic. --> I also found a Sig Sauer P6 which had come from the German MP sale. (A bunch went out at $300 a while ago) They wanted $390, but I didn't buy it because it was the first place I went to. (I always say set if free...if it comes back it is yours) So has anyone had an experience with P6's? What advantages would there be for spending twice as much on a P226 besides the trigger adjustments? Win? Andy? Anyone?

If I am not mistaken the P6 is the Euro version of the swingle stack 225 or something like that. They were selling for 325 here not long ago. I think that the thing has a funky bottom magazine release. It is well made and lots of cops were buying them for personal extra guns for wives, family members. Ithink it is a hone run in the 300s. A german Sig cannot be that bad. All Sigs are generall bombproof. The downside is weight over the polymer guns. Also I think the gun holds loike 8 rounds instead of 75-LOL- like the new wonderautos.

Hey Prof- just being a troublemaker here- But. you need to go to a range and shoot an HK USP. They are pricey-- but police turn ins pop up for 500-600 from tome to time. Maybe create a man toy money stash. Save your dollars and look for a deal.. assuming you like the gun. The shoot like demons. Very user friendly. Try one if you can.I sold all of my glocks and sigs and bought USPsin 9mm 40 ans 45. Still got my Kimbers. Still love them for a 1911 style gun.Almost snagged a por carry for 500.oo Missed it by a couple of hours. Makes me sick.

Buy a USP- you will not want anything else.

Thanks Win...

Yeah I have been reading up a lot on the P6. It comes highly recommended. Biggest complaints are that it is a 8 + 1 stack, expensive mags, trigger is stiff and won't feed all SJHP's bullets such as the Hydroshocks. 5% FTF according to one guy on THEHIGHROAD.com. I fell in lust with it after I held it and stuck it in my pants. Now that doesn't sound right to some of you, but the pistol grip felt like an extension of your arm and the frame including levers are real flat so it should carry as well if not better than my XD9sc. Evidently the pull on the trigger is like 24 pounds with the original spring. That must be what you call a safety. You gotta squeeze it hard to get a round off.

I think I am going to pick it up at the store if it is still there tomorrow. I don't think you can complain about a $400 Sig. I believe you Win, when you say that the HK USP is a winner also. I hear a lot of good things about them. So I will have to try one out.

I still can't believe I walked away from the Kimbers yesterday... Maybe I am maturing... Naaaaaaaa...

...which is the reason that so many love the P6/P225...the P6 is just the German police version (it was model #6 in the (West) German Police aresenal...Walther P-1 (P-38), Walther P5 (P5), SiG Sauer P6 (P225), Heckeler and Koch P7 (Squeezecocker P7)...)

very similar to the SiG Sauer P225...it should have a "ring" hammer with a cut in it (supposedly to be able to tell if the pistol was dropped so the armorer would know...I'm not sure that's it but who knows)...might not feed all hollowpoints (depending on what barrel it has...it was designed to use their ball ammo I think)...it has the legendary SiG Sauer "To Hell and back" reliability...if it looks good that price is not bad...for another $100 plus you could get a P225 if you look but why???...[:D] www.sigforum.com

apologize for the poor pick but here is my 1987 SiG Sauer P225 after I got it back from SiG's Service Plan (all new springs, check up and Meprolight Night Sights)...I added a full Nitron (yes, they CAN Nitron the frame) finish to mine...mine was carried much but shot much less...like many LEO pistols...good luck with yours...

Prof...they feel great...modern 9MM hollow point ammunition from any of the major manufacturers will perform as well as most other pistol ammunition and 9+1 should be fine if you do your part...SiGs are known for their out of the box accuracy and low maintenance but they like to be wet (not dripping but they like more oil than say a GLOCK does...)

Bill

Every time I shoot a Sig (225,226,229) the bullets go right where I point it. Most of them have good triggers, I just don't like the placement of the slide lock; I just can't seem to push it up with my thumb knuckle. But at least the decocker/safety is isn't way up on the slide like the Walther and Beretta.

As for the Kimber, you were probably smart by putting it back down. In that price range I would go with a Springfield 1911.

I bought a Sig 229 when they first came out.I literally wore it out. Thousands and thousands of rounds. Both of my boys learned to shoot handguns with it. Saved my butt in a nasty encounter with a large pack of feral dogs. Brought that program to a screeching halt. I was on like my 3rd extractor and in need of a new barrel when I traded it for my first HK USP. The guns shoot to point and are fool proof in operation. If I ever had a jam it was the fault of the ammo like a round seated too deep in the casing. I am an HK fanatic but I would sure own any Sig auto without reservation.

Well I took the plunge yesterday a noon and picked it up. Got into a little discussion about the coming revolution with the salesman in the store. His comments were that it was coming sooner than later. I think he just wanted to sell more guns. You don't need to comment on this to keep the thread open but you can PM me for an opinion.

Shot it last night at the range. It shoots right where I point it. Much more accurate than my XD9. Once or twice the gun didn't fire, but I think it was the cock / decock sequence that I was using. I have to figure that out what I did. I think I was releasing the slide to holster after unloading the mag. Once reloading I experimented with decocking again and recocking just the hammer. That may have been the issue because I had to rack the slide to set it to fire. This ejected a live round out of the chamber of course.

How would most people carry this piece if one was thinking of doing so? Chambered but not cocked? Chambered and cocked if there is a strap on the holster holding the hammer? Or super safe... chamber empty?

After firing the gun was sweating oil out all the pores. The previous owner must have kept it very wet. Or is that the recommended practice?

Well I took the plunge yesterday a noon and picked it up. Got into a little discussion about the coming revolution with the salesman in the store. His comments were that it was coming sooner than later. I think he just wanted to sell more guns. You don't need to comment on this to keep the thread open but you can PM me for an opinion. Shot it last night at the range. It shoots right where I point it. Much more accurate than my XD9. Once or twice the gun didn't fire, but I think it was the *** / decock sequence that I was using. I have to figure that out what I did. I think I was releasing the slide to holster after unloading the mag. Once reloading I experimented with decocking again and recocking just the hammer. That may have been the issue because I had to rack the slide to set it to fire. This ejected a live round out of the chamber of course. How would most people carry this piece if one was thinking of doing so? Chambered but not cocked? Chambered and cocked if there is a strap on the holster holding the hammer? Or super safe... chamber empty? After firing the gun was sweating oil out all the pores. The previous owner must have kept it very wet. Or is that the recommended practice?

1. The Sig should fire after decock in double action (long trigger pull) without cocking the hammer on the first shot; the trigger pull will c*ck the hammer. Subsequent shots are single action (the slide movement c*cks the hammer).

2. If you c*ck the hammer manually it should fire if there is a round in the chamber, you shouldn't need to rack the slide.

3. The Sig is safe to carry with the chamber loaded then decocked. DO NOT carry it with the hammer cocked. Draw and fire, no hammer cocking needed, just practice that DA first shot. ALWAYS decock before reholstering. (Consistent trigger pull is why I prefer the XD, Glock, M&P, etc.)

4. Can't help you on the oiling question.

Edit: I guess the word c*ck gets flagged. Who knew? :)

Your SiG is a classic and very safe...plenty safe to keep your magazine fully loaded and a round in the chamber with the hammer decocked...decocking places your hammer on the safety intercept notch and it is not resting on the firing pin...as long as it wasn't futzed with...NEVER carry with the hammer cocked and NEVER try to drop the hammer WITHOUT using the decocker...you bypass a safety if you do the "pull the trigger and lower the hammer"...good buy, Prof...

Generally...load magazine with preferred 9MM ammunition...

Place magazine in pistol...

Pull slide back fully and let it return home on its own...you have just loaded the pistol...

Decock your pistol...

Drop the magazine and place another round of ammunition into the magazine topping off that magazine...

Place magazine back into the pistol...you are ready for action...

With the magazine fully loaded, a live round in the chamber and the hammer down, your first shot will be double action...pulling the trigger will cock the hammer and drop it on the live round...the round will fire and the slide will load another round into the chamber as well as leaving your hammer back...wish to fire again???...pull the trigger and your are now firing in single action...hammer already back, a pull of the trigger and the hammer drops...done shooting but still loaded???...take your thumb if you are a righty or your trigger finger if you are a Southpaw and decock the SiG...safe as long as no one touches the trigger...

Basically the same "fire control system" that is on the P220, P226, P228, P229 ...Browning type tilting barrel lock up and verysafe and quality...

Enjoy...

Bill

All good advice, Professor, if you haven't yet gone there, try http://www.sigforum.com/ they will have all your answers and then some. My SiG's prefer a light oiling and for range work some shooter's choice red grease on the contact points (rails, barrel and hood) but for carry a light oil will do. A nice IWB should work for carry many good holster makers out there, this one is new, but has a short wait time and the quality looks good http://monicakuehnleather.blogspot.com/2009/07/iwb-gallery.html Enjoy the P6, parts are fairly plentiful and minor changes are easily done by the "average shooter" without a host of special tools, although a SiG tool is a must and depending on care, a cheap change out of springs and roll pins never hurts.

Enjoy your new toy and keeps us informed how it works out for you.