placeing acoustic panels with horn loaded speakers

abjonesiii

hey guys,

I have a questions. I just finished building some acoustic panels for
my theater room and need a little help with placement. I know where I'm
suppose to place them but i kinda don't know at the same time. I have
been searching forums and numerous website with not much results.

So, where are the first reflection points for horn loaded speakers (klipsch2.gif)
?? I know with most speakers the mirror trick answers the question but
with horn loaded i know its different. I've read a few post that
reference the FR as being further back but i can't find any science to
guide me on exact placement.

For reference my room is 26 x 13 x 8 with vaulted ceilings starting at
about 4 feet up the 26 foot walls leveling off at the top with about a
7 foot flat ceiling.

I definitely have a flutter echo and I'd like to flatten out frequency
response (though i don't currently have a way to measure that).

thanks in advance!

I was not aware that horns had different reflection points. The frequencies in question for the two main reflection points are high and mid frequencies. AFAIK, the sound wave will still behave as do conventional driver speakers. I recently re-worked my entire acoustic treatment in my room and love the results. I was also able to measure the results with ETF software, so I didn't have to rely on my hearing to tell me if I did things correctly or not.

For my Khorns, I placed the first two absorbers in the usual locations and got good results. However, I didn't try any other locations, possibly out of ignorance on the horn issue. So, I would like to find out what, if any, is the issue with the horns.

Also, the biggest problem 99% of us have is not the mid and high frequencies, it is in the bass region. Those are much harder to treat and affect what you are hearing much more. Bass standing waves are a PITA!

I was also able to measure the results with ETF software, so I didn't have to rely on my hearing to tell me if I did things correctly or not.

Very cool! I would love to see your before and after plots sometime and your impressions on how the sound changed too.

Horns will typically have a different polar response than conventional speakers, so I think it naturally follows that the acoustic treatment will probably be slightly different. However, I think all the same principals apply. An ETC is a great way to determine where your first early reflection point is happening.

Since most Klipsch speakers use horns with 90 deg x 40 deg patterns, I'd start by placing absorbers and diffusers on the walls opposite the speakers.

If yours are in the corners, a 90 deg horizontal pattern from the horns will not throw much energy against the adjacent walls.