Horns

CIGARBUM

I don't know anything about the Altecs but considering the K400/401 is usually used as a midrange horn, you might consider the K510 as well and keep open the larger format driver (I think the K69 is a 2" driver)

I WILL suggest to you that the K510 mated with the K69 can smoke the K400. Probably more expensive as well. The K510/69 is crossed at 470 when used with a LaScala. If you have a bass bin that will go as high as the LaScala or higher, you could probably use that combo quite easily.

The larger K402 bests the K510 but it's more expensive and rather noticable [:|] however, if you wanted to really make a visual statement..... [Y]

I WILL suggest to you that the K510 mated with the K69 can smoke the K400. Probably more expensive as well.

As well, the K510/K-69 mid-hi units replace both the K400/K55 mid and the K-77 tweeter, making for a better-sounding 2-way system with one less crossover point than a 3-way system.

CB, There are quite a few choices out there. May I suggest you firm up some of your priorities first.

For instance, what is the relative importance of the following:

1. controlled dispersion and CD directivity

2. the likelihood of going 2-way

3. the crossover point you are aiming for

You guys ask me the hardest questions, you should know by now that I do not have a clue of what I'm doing. I'm just finishing up my latest project (DBB) and trying to line up something else to do.

As of yet, I don't know how they will sound, but as good as they say, I hope.

I have almost come to the conclusion that you can build and build different speakers based on Klipsch design and not get a whole better than the KHorn. I have Cornwalls, Belles, Cornscalas, KHorns and now the DBB. Again not knowing what the DBB will sound like, my point of reference is my enhanced KHorn, enclosed backs, Crites tweeter, trachorn and Crites networks, I'm sorry, it does not get any better.

If the DBB don't come up to my liking, I'm sure they will, I think I will just buy another pair of KHorns.

Anyway, back to horns, I always thought bigger the better. If I understand the comments the K510 will sound better that the Altec horns, I don't believe I have ever seen any for sale, how much are they and the K69 driver, I know the Altec can be had for about $100 a pair plus some decent drivers.

As always, all comments are welcomed.

CB

my point of reference is my enhanced KHorn, enclosed backs, Crites tweeter, trachorn and Crites networks, I'm sorry, it does not get any better.

Heh... yes it does [A]

You probably won't see too many K510's for sale since they are so new to the home environment. I'd expect them to be more expensive than the Altecs since the 510 would probably have to be bought new. Side benefit...I DO think they would come with driver (I guess the Altecs would be only horn so a driver would raise their net cost)

The mid-sized Altec and EV mantaray horns sound great with either the Altec 288 or EV DH1A.

The market is depressed now, so it is a good time to be buying.

I recently bought a package on eBay with several sets of EV HP940, HP640 horns. Up to six HP940, three MRII594 are available for $50 each (plus shipping). Six MRII564 (some new in box) for $75 each, six EV HR90 for $80 each.

I have over a dozen Altec 288 that need diaphragms, and maybe eight EV. Price depends on which diaphragms you want, but probably around $125 each (±).

http://archives.telex.com/archives/EV/Horns/EDS/HR90%20EDS.pdf

TS940D_LX_wogrl.jpgTS940D_LX_wogrl.jpg

Tha above is the HP940 in a typical cinema application, the Altec MRII594 looks identical (see A5, A6, A12):

http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/altec/catalogs/1993-pro/1993-36.JPG

• 1 month later...