Harmony Remotes

Youthman

Harmony One's are great. I have no complaints so far. I picked mine up new for around $140 last spring. It is an IR only remote, but I have it coupled with a Hot Link Pro Remote Control Extender (also highly recommended) because I have all of my components hidden in an electronics double door closet. I believe it has the best design of any of the Logitech remotes with a nice balance of touchscreen and dedicated buttons.

Do you need both IR (infrared) and RF (radio frequency)? If so then the 890 is the better choice for you.

I don't need RF and owned an 880 which has the same basic shape and keys has the 890 and I now own a Harmony One.
I personally like the key placement much better on the One than the 880. I think $150 is a great price. I paid $199 in December or January I think and most places were selling them for $250 then. I do kind of miss the buttons next to the icons on the screen instead of the touch screen on the One but over all I like the One the best of all the Harmony remotes.

Go to a Best Buy or where ever and hold both in your hands, I think then you can really decide which is the best fit for you. But again if you need RF I think the 890 is your only choice from Harmony.

• Moderators

Thx for the advice guys. Not sure if I "need" RF. My components are behind the false wall and has no problem with IR remotes since only grill cloth is between the remote and the components. I can aim my projector remote at my screen and it bounces off the screen back to the projector to turn it on. [Y] The only thing I have to turn around and aim behind me is for the lights. That would be great if I could somehow get the lights hooked up to the Harmony Remote but I'm unsure how. I have a simple Lutron Maestro lighting system. Basically a one scene fader. I'm guessing I have to somehow run a repeater to the front of the wall plate but again, this is all new to me. When we ran the projector, my A/V installer friend ran a remote turn on cable but we did not hook it up to anything. It's still dangling by the projector. You can see the orange cable coming down from the ceiling here.

• Moderators

Well, I just got off the phone with my A/V friend. During our conversation, he said that he has a present coming for me. Since I designed his website and designed his door hanger flyers and had 2500 of them printed at my cost, he ordered me a Harmony One. Whoohoo! The price doesn't get much better than that. Free always works for me. [:D] Can't wait to get it hooked up. He has some other flyers that I will be designing and printing as well so I'll be able to bless him in return. I'm really starting to enjoy bartering. [;)]

if you want to control your lights with your logitech, get a X-10 set up. all you need is a dimmer switch, and a receiver box. the entire set up is around $20. i am lucky, i have a X-10 dealer only 45min away. you can find them on ebay, they are very cheap. i have X-10 in my set up now. i have on outlet that turns on for my sub, and a dimmer light for my fan. works great, now my sub doesn't sit in standby costing me money.

i have the 720 and love it. i like it better than the One for one reason, (no pun intended). i have 6 quick buttons where the One has 3 quick touch screen buttons. i use all 6 of mine so it's handy that i don't have to switch between pages offten.

• Moderators

Thx for the info. I just got off the phone with Jimmy and he said he will get me pricing on the X-10 for my projector, the light switch, and one for the sub and a IR repeater. At least that is my understanding of what I need.

Rather than X-10 I would suggest you take a look at Insteon brand.

http://www.smarthome.com/_/INSTEON/_/23b/land.aspx '> http://www.smarthome.com/_/INSTEON/_/23b/land.aspx

Insteon is similar to X-10 and can be used with X-10 but it adds to the technology considerably improving on the reliability. Where X-10 often suffers from reliability problems Insteon is extremely reliable. I have had Insteon throughout my home for around 3-4 years now and really enjoy it.

I agree about a repeater, my URC MX-850 and MX-800 remotes have this ability with RF and I love never needing to point a remote no matter where I am in the house.

InVeNtOR, you really should check out Insteon, it is X-10 with some great improvements. I have used X-10 before and now have Insteon on every switch in my home as well as 3 ControLinc controlers, PowerLinc to use my computer for control as well as advanced timers and use my URC remotes to control any light in my home as well as home theater lighting.

I really like Insteon a lot and highly recommend it. I also live near SmartHome www.smarthome.com the makers of Insteon, it's a great place with friendly people and excellent customer service.

Insteon will be slightly higher priced than X-10, not a lot higher though. Insteon is improved X-10 that is also backwards compatible with X-10. Where X-10 only works with the wiring in your home Insteon adds RF for better connectivity among circuits, Insteon also is smarter it knows if one of the switches is on or off rather than just sending a trigger. I have had 100% relibility with Insteon where X-10 was definitely below 80% reliable at best.

Look at Smart Homes webpage http://www.smarthome.com '> http://www.smarthome.com they carry X-10 as well as Insteon, however Insteon is exclusively their own product.

If you have questions let me know and I'll be glad to help.

I'm really starting to enjoy bartering.

You are the "bartering bandit" or some other cool word that starts with "b". You might as well have "stolen" the Harmony One. Chalk up another great score for the Youthman. I have heard nothing but great things about the Harmony remotes. If only you could be so lucky to barter your services for that multichannel amp you want.

Bill

• Moderators

You are the "bartering bandit"

I like that way that sounds Bill. [:D]

If only you could be so lucky to barter your services for that multichannel amp you want.

Hey I'm trying. I would love to barter for a 3 or 5 channel 200 watt/ch amp (hint, hint for anyone that has one). I just bartered for a Nikon D70 camera and a lens for a storage company in Clearwater. He saw my ad on Craigslist where I list 15 or so items that I would like to barter for, one being a Nikon SLR camera. He was researching pricing on CL when he saw my ad. I get what I want without spending any money, he gets what he needs, a professional website. Works out great for both of us. He upgraded to a Nikon D300s camera. I'm making the final corrections to the site tonight and picking the camera up this Thursday.

Rich, not trying to sound lazy, I'm just ignorant when it comes to lighting. I've looked at the Insteon page but there are a lot of products, not sure which I would need. Would it work with my existing dimmer? I installed a simple lutron maestro dimmer switch in my theater. I'm basically wanting something that will control the Lutron Maestro dimmer, turn on my Yamaha, Velodyne Sub and projector. Pretty simple. I have no need for motorized shades, whole-house lighting etc. Just something that will turn on all my gear with one click (to make it easier for my wife to use).

• Moderators

Aww give him time. Wink

That's what I like...optimism! I sent probably over 300 emails to guys that were selling their Nikon cameras. Most replied that they need the cash or already had a website. I finally stopped emailing people and two weeks later, this guy emails me about wanting to barter. As I have stated over and over, patience is the key to finding deals. In my experience, when I am impatient, I end up spending a lot of extra money that I could have saved if I would have been patient.

Rich, not trying to sound lazy, I'm just ignorant when it comes to lighting. I've looked at the Insteon page but there are a lot of products, not sure which I would need. Would it work with my existing dimmer? I installed a simple lutron maestro dimmer switch in my theater. I'm basically wanting something that will control the Lutron Maestro dimmer, turn on my Yamaha, Velodyne Sub and projector. Pretty simple. I have no need for motorized shades, whole-house lighting etc. Just something that will turn on all my gear with one click (to make it easier for my wife to use).

I don't think Insteon would work with your existing dimmer, Insteon will only control Insteon and X-10 lighting.

What exactly are you planning to do with the Yamaha, Velodyne sub and projector, simply turn off the power that goes to them? If that is the case I don't think you would gain much, just save the tiny bit of electricity which these use when off which wouldn't be much. This might also cause the Yamaha to lose its settings.

If you just want to turn on/off all the equipment with one click that should be done with your remote and the Harmony One should take care of that. You may be able to teach the Harmony to control your dimmer lighting, this I am not sure of but if your dimmer is IR the Harmony will probably be able to learn the commands.

I think the main benefit Insteon would do for you would be more advanced theater lighting but that doesn't sound like what you are looking for. I think your new Harmony will do most of what you want and hopefully it will be able control your dimmer.

• Moderators

I don't need anything fancy. I only have 6 canned lights, no sconces. Maybe one day I will, but for now I don't. The harmony can probably learn the commands for the lutron but my problem is that the light is behind the back row and the seats sometimes get in the way and if there is someone sitting there, that obstructs it even further. I'm thinking I will need some sort of repeater that will be hardwired to the light switch for it to work well.