Recreat factory "oak oil" finish

dsommerl

I have an Academy center speaker which has been sanded down to it's oak veneer (was black finish originally).

It is now "raw oak" ---I would like to turn it into a factory "oak oil" finish----and want to know what product/s I should use (and technique) to accomplish this.

Tks Dave

That's right J Hawk----I am going to corner the market on Academy's !!!----vs the KV 3 we discussed---it's now two Academy's on the rear wall---over kill I'm sure.

But, hey, you only come around once---right?

And when they go to 10.1 sound---I'll be back out there looking for some more

Regards Dave.

dsommerl,

I can't give you any advise on how to apply it other than I was told to use spray can instead of brush because the brush will not lay the stain evenly. But I can tell you what stain will match Klipsch's oiled oak perfectly.

Go to home depot and in the paint section look for MINWAX wood finish stain, and get the GOLDEN OAK 210B.

I cannot tell the difference between my oiled oak KG 5.2's and my cabinet that I stained using this stain.

Personally I'm going to brush mine using two of three coats to make sure the application is even. Then I'm going to laquer it for the glossy shine.

keep us informed on what your going to do..

dsommerl

if you go to odds and modds and look at my post under Montigues system upgrade, in some of the pics you can see how well that paint matches up with Klipsch's oiled oak.

look at jpg 046 and notice how the platform underneath the speakers matches perfectly with the speakers. Can't tell a difference at all.

This message has been edited by montigue on 03-07-2002 at 01:15 PM

Okay Montigue !

Great advice---and just in time for the weekend!

I like to refinish cabinets---so, I'm pretty adept at the process-----believe the Minwax line is a rubbing stain type--so brush it on---and wipe it off (an old T shirt)--this will give a uniform color

HOWEVER----not sure on the finish/protective coating--to match the "oiled oak" finish on the Klipsch speaker I seek to match---the"oiled" one I have is a very flat finish----duller than "satin" minwax poly------does Klipsch actually just stain and then "oil" (vs poly or something else) and if so---what "oil"--and application technique do they use?-----(have sent an e mail to Klipsch but they aren't very good at responding--so maybe I'll call them----but they aren't good at returning calls either--so I have learned)

Any clarification on the final finish technique will be appreciated.

Tks Dave

I've used Minwax on a lot of projects and had good results, until I tried to stain a fibreglass door. After numerous attempts to get it even I gave up and checked with my local lumber store for something else. They recommended I use Zar, I tried it and found that it worked great. I don't know if it comes in the shade you want but it's worth trying. It goes a long ways and is really easy to work with.

JLOUNDER

dsommerl.....did you sand the academy down or was it like that when you got it? I would like to change my CF-2's to an oak finish but really don't know how hard it would be. They are satin black now. Theres a couple dry areas on top of one speaker but other than that there in good shape. What did you use to do this? Thanks

Rowoo

If yours is satin OAK---then take some 80 grit and go after it by hand---be very careful if using a belt sander----an orbital would be kinder (less likely to penetrate throught he veneer)----then ?---I'm trying to confirm what stain and final finish to use to restore it to the oak oil appearance--want to confirm the other posters thoughts directly with Klipsch before proceeding-----hope they'll call me back.

Tks Dave