Is it Worth It?: Refurbishing a Turntable

kfoss99

So, I am need of a second TT. My current one is hooked up to the computer to duplicate and archive some of my LP collection.

A friend gave me an old Yamaha YP-211 that needs a new belt and, probably, an upgraded cartridge.

I was also looking around in my mother's basement and found the old Realistic Direct Drive turntable that I used as a kid. It stopped working properly over ten years ago. I like direct drive tables and am interested in bringing it back from dead.

How much is it get one of these fixed up, if needed. Also, if it will cost as much as a new TT, are these 1970s vintage tables worth it?

Thanks for your assistance,

Karl

'70s and '80s vintage turntables can be well worth owning; I have a Garrard Zero 100, a Technics SL-D2 and a Harman Kardon T35C (my favorite). That said, I don't know that I would spend the money fixing up a Realistic turntable, though that could just be my tech snobbery showing...

Some direct drive turntables have very complicated electronics and parts may no longer be available, especially in the case of a Realistic model. If the problem is not something obvious and easy to fix, you'd be better off looking for a Technics SL, a 1200, 1300, 1400, 1500, 1600, 1700 or 1800 in good working order. You should be able to find one for less than $200.

If the Yamaha just needs a new belt, get it running and see if you like how it sounds. That, plus the price of a new cartridge, may be all you need to spend on a turntable this year. A Shure M97xE or an Ortofon 2M Red should meet your needs.

I still have a belt drive Thorens TD 124 from 1964, with a SME tonearm and an extra Ortofon arm (not mounted). I'm considering reviving it, but don't today's cartridges require a lower mass arm?
My digital camera is broken, so here is a picture with the turntable and the Ortophon arm taken in 1967, during the Summer of Love --- can you tell? [scroll down past blank -- can't seem to get rid of it]

post-11410-13819512521676_thumb.jpg

TD 124 &SME?Legendary turntable & arm combo, worth doing whatever is needed to enjoy it again.

Garymd, Technics, Denon and a few select others, are in a class of their own, when it comes to some of their Direct Drive models.

Perhaps these are models you haven't experienced yet(but should).

While the Technics arm is not perfect, it is much better than the one on that Yammie.

That said, given only the two choices I would revive the Yamaha, not because it is belt over direct and not because of the Radio Shack name, but the Yamaha is the better built model over all, in my experience, which includes both models.

Garymd, Technics, Denon and a few select others, are in a class of their own, when it comes to some of their Direct Drive models.

Perhaps these are models you haven't experienced yet(but should).

While the Technics arm is not perfect, it is much better than the one on that Yammie.

I owned a Technics SL1800 for 25 years. The first $100 Thorens TD160 I bought blew its doors off. Maybe I had a sub-par unit but no matter what cart I tried, it always sounded thin and lifeless in comparison. I've been a Thorens supporter ever since. What can I say?

Garyrc - Awesome phone!

Thanks to everyone who replied,

For a total of $15, I got a new belt for the YP-211 and with a little effort got the platter off and the new belt put on.

It has a blue Audio-Technica cartridge on it and it plays very nicely. The cart should get me through the holidays and I'll pick up a Shure sometime in the new year.

Craig from NOSValves just finished restoring a Fisher 500C for me and I think this pair hooked up to my RF-82s will give me years of enjoyment.