Question about tv stand strength

iTide

Hey guys I am having a tv stand built for a 54" panasonic plasma. It is just a basic stand with a door on each side with a shelf in the middle for the center and a drawer under the shelf. It will be roughly 72" long and 22" deep. The top of the cabinet will be 3/4 inch alder plywood. There will be a face plate around the front of the cabinet to help with strength. Here is my question. With the center needing a compartment that is 24" by 22" will I have trouble with 3/4 plywood bowing under the weight of the plasma. The cabinet maker says there is no way but I want to double check with anyone that may have had experience with this. That is a wide span for 100 pounds. Thanks

You could always keep an eye on it and if it starts to bow just fabricate a thin metal brace (or even wood to match the stand)) with 1/4" plywood ends and place iy in the center of the span after you put the center in. A careful fit will allow the weight of the TV to hold it in place.

Thanks guys, just making sure before I give the go ahead. Things like this bug me and I just don't want any problems. Bill, I will be posting photos as soon as I get that basement finished. It has been a long work in progress but I am getting very close to finishing it. I look forward to sharing and hearing some comments. Thanks again!

• Moderators

Should be plenty strong enough, the vertical plywood on each side of the center opening will hold the weight of the TV. Does the width of the stand of the TV come close to those two vertical boards? If all the weight of the TV sits on a very small base that does not come close to either of those vertical pieces of the cabinet you could always have another piece of plywood stained and finished to sit on top of the cabinet and have the TV sit on it like a raised area in the center. But I think it should be fine without it.

I think you'll be okay with the following comments.

The weight of the TV is going to distributed across the top "beam" so it is not likely to sag.

I like the use of real plywood rather than MDF. It is much stronger.

It is important that the top panel of the cabinet sit on top of the side panels so that the load is transmitted directly into the top of what are essentially columns. That is to say, don't make the top narrow and screw it into the sides of the columns on either side. This is because you'll then be relying the screws to take the shear forces, which is not good.

You should consider some mechanical system to secure the TV to the stand or the back wall to prevent tipping onto the floor, no matter how strong the stand might be. The TV could fall off as a result of kids playing, an adult playing with connections, wild drunken parties, or whatever.

I have a 37 inch LCD on a rolling cabinet and I straped down the pedestal legs of the LCD TV to the cabinet with cable ties. It makes me feel better.

BTW, I'm still waiting for the wild drunken party to start. But you have be prepared.

Wm McD